Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-11-2006, 04:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 190 1988
Cover when trailering?

(1988PS190) My owners manual indicates my Mastercraft cover is "good to protect the interior, and should be used as much as possible, except for when trailering. I have always preferred to cover my boat while trailering. Is the original cover not robust enough to handle the wind lift or something? Do most of you use the factory MC cover when trailering?
Old 07-11-2006, 04:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1976 Mastercraft Stars & Stripes 351W
I've never towed covered. My understanding is that the wind will move the cover around and tear up your gelcoat/paint.

Cheers!

Our '76 Stars & Stripes

Canis meus id comedit
Old 07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2005 Prostar 197 / MCX
I cover when towing ONLY when the weather is terribly bad and I am guaranteed to have a filthy boat when I get to the lake...

As soon as the road dries, I remove the cover again. (for the reasons that mfunf mentioned)
Old 07-11-2006, 04:31 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 1982 Skier19, Powerslot, 351PCM
If its raining (or snowing) I don't tow.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
I was in the camp of towing with a cover when the weather was bad.....however, I just got done buffing fine scratches out of my gunnels this weekend. My cover will be now limited to mooring and storage.

Any ideas on how I can keep the bug and crap off the upholstry in my open bow???

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Leroy

I got a couple of rope rubs from towing with cover on and don't do it anymore. Friend with i/o tows with cover on all the time with no problem, but his ropes go under the boat.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:49 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB
I was in the camp of towing with a cover when the weather was bad.....however, I just got done buffing fine scratches out of my gunnels this weekend. My cover will be now limited to mooring and storage.

Any ideas on how I can keep the bug and crap off the upholstry in my open bow???
Agreed - I towed with the cover one time on an 8 hour hour to Lake Shasta and it took me a month to buff out all of the rope scratches. Never again!

Johhny - I had a custom snap-n cover made for my open bow and it works great. It protects from bugs and tar and crap and is also a good place to stow the board bags when I'm towing.

The hardest part was to let Lori (of Stiblings Covers) drill the holes for the snaps, but once I got over that, it was cake. Cost me about $250.

Cheers!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Mastercraft, Prostar 190, Ford 351
I never cover while towing because of the unecessary beating of the cover against the gelcoat. The longest distance I have towed mine is when I purchased it and drove her 600 miles back to my house. All I had to deal with was a couple of bug splats.

I would pullover to cover if the weather started spitting rain but would try never to travel while it is bad weather. It is pretty much sunny down here all the time so don't have to worry about that too often.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Maristar 225 VRS, LT1
I never have towed with the cover on, but after a broken windshield coming back from the lake last year makes me wonder if there is something to towable covers. ( $ 2800 )
Old 07-11-2006, 09:48 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Never! /

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :