Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 190 1988
Trailer straps for 88

Just bought an 88 PS190 and according to origianl ower it has never been strapped down when in tow on trailer. Wanting to fix this I immediately realize there is no good way to do so. Hooks on transom are above the platform and would have to go around the corner of the transom to reach trailer. I'm sure gelcoat would suffer over time. Has this one been solved already. I'd prefer not to add non-factory "through the hull" hooks. Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 01:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, ProStar 190, 1986, 351.
you could put a strap over the middle of the boat. i never strap mine down unless i am taking it on a trip and then i just use a roap to keep it from bouncing so much.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you have eyelits on your trailer fenders (and assuming there is a backing plate), you can run a strap over the gunwhales to the two eyelits. Cut up socks or seatbelt pads can be used to protect the deck.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:42 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2000 MasterCraft ProStar 205 DD
I have an 87 with the same problem. As the guys have said I run a 2" strap over the back of the boat and clip it on the two eyelettes on the fenders. You just want to make sure the trailer stays under the boat.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft Prostar 190 1988
Sounds like the 2: strap to the eyelets behind the fenders is the way I'll go. I'll confimrm the are adequately supported. Do you us a ratcheting strap to set tension?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 Mastercraft stars and stripes
I really dont think its necessary to strap down the back unless your towing it off road. between me and my dad we havent ever straped the rear down and its only moved once in 21 years and when it did was because i took a corner to sharp and too fast and the trailer hit a curb causing the boat to move a few inches
Old 07-16-2006, 08:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98 Prostar 190 Stars & Stripes, LT1
Check out my post in the longest distanced towed thread.

I just towed my 98 190 across the U.S. without strapping down the rear of the boat. It shifted around a little bit, but I am careful when towing. Just slow down when you get on bumpy roads and you'll be OK.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:10 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by d36yzrider
I really dont think its necessary to strap down the back unless your towing it off road. between me and my dad we havent ever straped the rear down and its only moved once in 21 years and when it did was because i took a corner to sharp and too fast and the trailer hit a curb causing the boat to move a few inches
When I had a moron try to cross the road about 10 feet in front of me and had the trailer almost swing sideways trying to avoid killing the guy, I was glad I'd strapped the boat down. I know plenty of people who don't who haven't had problems. While my being careful is important, I can't count on the rest of the people on the road to do the same.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.