Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-28-2004, 08:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 Tristar 190
Chipped flywheel. Why?

I have some missing or chipped teeth on my flywheel ring gear. I plan on replacing it this winter, but my biggest question is why did it happen? I'd hate to fix it, just to have it happen again. It's a V-Drive, so it's pretty involved to fix it.
The motor is a '99 Indmar Chevy, MPI. Only 200 hours.
What causes this? I'm thinking the started needed to be shimmed, but could it be anything else?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:20 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
The starter was my guess also.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1995 PS190
Send a message via AIM to OhioProstar
Starter not disengaging or kicking in while the engine is running. That is why the starter gear is brass, but if the flywheel was brittle it could break off a tooth. Typically you can start the engine by moving the flywheel a bit clockwise, but with a v-drive that would be tough. You might want to have some things done while the tranny work is being done....

Jimn what should he look out for?
Old 10-28-2004, 09:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to ktn_cmu
I would say it could be any of the following, plus some:
  • Misalligned Starter (as said above)
  • Defective/Damaged Starter Gear
  • Defective/Damaged Starter Bendix
  • Foreign Material in the bellhousing
  • Loose Flexplate Bolts
  • Trying to start the engine when it is already running
  • Letting the starter kick out and back in in one start sequence without letting the engine stop rotating (operator error, intermittent ingition problem)
Old 10-28-2004, 09:24 AM
TT Enthusiast

It will still start, but if the motor comes to rest at the spot where the bad teeth are, it "clunks" really hard and only moves the engine a little bit. You have to turn the key several times (and several clunks) before it catches.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Does it always clunk, or just when it is in a bad spot, do you know, or are you just assuming that when it clunks it is in a bad spot. It could be a bad soleniod too. But it sounds like a missaligned (or loose, have you checked for missing starter bolts) starter.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Originally, I thought it was a bad starter, and replaced it. This fixed the problem temporarily...... until the bad flywheel chewed up the bendix on my new starter....
I'm assuming it only clunks when it stops at the bad spot. Even when it starts on a good spot, you can hear the "chink, chink, chink" as the bendix passes over the bad spot while the engine is turning over.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:09 AM
TT Enthusiast

Now the question that begs to be asked is, if it isn't the starter, why would this "fix it temporarily". My guess it was the starter but the damage had already been done to the flexpate teeth. I am sure there are other answers though...
Old 10-28-2004, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

My thought was..... it fixed it temporarily because of the brand new teeth on the starter bendix. They allowed just enough bite to turn the flywheel. But each time it hit the bad spot, it wore the teeth more and more, until it got to the same point as before.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 PS197 LY6
jclose8,
You are absolutely correct if you put a new starter in with a new bendix into a motor with a bad flywheel it will work fine until the bad flywheel destroys the teeth on the bendix. If there is ever a bad flywheel you need to replace it the same time you replace the starter bendix. You should be able to get a new starter bendix without buying a whole new starter. However I would not do that, because the starter clutch may be damaged. You may want to take your starter to a rebuild shop and ask them if they can put a new clutch and bendix in it.