Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 07-09-2006, 09:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 ProStar 190
Removing "ghost" registration numbers?

I need advice-AGAIN! I am ready to apply new registration numbers to my 85 boat and after removing/cleaning the old vinyl numbers there is still their "ghost" left on the gel-coat. What is the best way to get rid of this before applying the new numbers? Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
I replaced my registration numbers yesterday on my 2004. Although mine were only on the boat for 2 years, I still had to use Meguire's Oxidation Remover and a buffer to get the ghosts out.

This spring, before I sold my 92, I re-did all the decals (MC and reg #s) and ran into the same issue where the ghosts were gel-coat color mismatch between the color under the letters and the color of the rest of the boat due to fade. On the MC decals, it also seemed that the gel-coat had slightly "formed around" the decals.....required lots of buffing to make this disappear.

Good luck!

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 07-09-2006, 10:43 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: 2004 Maristar 230 VRS
If the hull is stained, it might clean up to match the area under the old numbers with an acid wash. I'd try that first. If that didn't do it, and the discoloration is related to oxidation, it's going to require some abrasion, anywhere from hand-rubbing with a cleaner/wax, to power buffing with some polishing compound.

Just treating the area where the ghosts are may get rid of the ghosting in exchange for a noticeable area of a different shade where the number set is applied.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Good thought Mac....start simple is the way to go. Snobowl toilet bowl cleaner is still one of the best cleaners....get the liquid, not the gel and spray on with spray bottle or garden sprayer...

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 07-09-2006, 01:27 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1991 mastercraft Prostar 190, 351 w/powerslot. Blue & grey.
really? snowbowl? wow! I never knew that.

I just hit it with a light buffing compound when I did mine last year....it worked fine...maybe I got lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upper Michigan Prostar190
On a different note: I like LOTS of snort comin' out of the hole.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft ProStar 197, MCX
The easiest way is to use an orbital polisher, foam pad, and 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound. This will take off all the old chalking, fade, etc and you'll never see where the old numbers used to be. I just did my friends whole boat last weekend since he's getting all new 'domed' numbers and graphics to replace the vinyls. If you can borrow an orbital or maybe rent one from the hardware store it'll make easy work of it. Run the polisher on the lower RPM range at first to get the hang of it and work in a figure 8 motion, lifting the pad slightly so you're using the upper half to do the work. Plain old elbow grease with the buffing compound might do it too, but the polisher will definitely blend everything real nice. If you want more details, give me a PM and I'll help you out. Good luck -