Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 07-07-2006, 03:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209, tower, Predator
Question change my gelcoat color?

Has anyone ever attempted, or heard of, changing the color of your hull gelcoat. I've got a 2001 Prostar 209. Wide black stripe, white on the bottom. The bottom (white, but now more of an off-white...)is looking pretty dirty despite yearly hoisted-off-the-trailer buffing by a professional. I was considering having the gelcoat augmented so that the entire lower half of the boat - from the rubrail down - is black. Plus, I think it'd look pretty money. Is this possible? Who would do it? Expensive? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:02 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
I think you could have it sanded and resprayed, but for what it would probably cost, it might be a better move to buy a new boat. I could be wrong on all of the above.

Welcome!

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:08 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209, tower, Predator
Wow! New boat, huh? So, you really think it'd be more than, say, $10K?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: It's always changing! X-Star-Prostar190/205-Maristar
Gel coat is very resilliant to permanent staining. Try an inexpensive and easy solution. Get some liquid toilet bowl cleaner in a spray bottle and spray it on the affected portion of the hull. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so and rinse. I think you'l be pleasently surprised. Good Luck!
Old 07-07-2006, 04:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Got a quote on my Tristar last year. Rub rail down (single color) and a few deep scratches fixed, removing my thru hull depth finder, and patching hole. was $2500.00.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:25 PM
MC Hero

I'm no expert, but assuming it's possible, yes, I think if you are prepared to spend that kind of dough, it would be easier to find another 209.

Factory gel coat is really expensive. Even the small cans are a couple of hundred dollars. It would take a lot to respray the entire hull below the rubrail Add the labor of a person you'd trust to sand, prep, and respray a high end ski boat and I think you're talking serious bucks.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:30 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by etduc
Got a quote on my Tristar last year. Rub rail down (single color) and a few deep scratches fixed, removing my thru hull depth finder, and patching hole. was $2500.00.
etduc, was that from a nearby MC glass guy? Or was that from G&B possibly? Was that using factory gel coat?

I'm asking because I was quoted almost $1,000 once to fix a relatively small gouge in the gel coat (didn't go through the glass) by a nearby, renowned MC glass guy. G&B did it without the factory gel for $250 and you could never see it if I pointed it out to you (not on my boat).

If you haven't had the work done yet, you ought to consider taking it to G&B Fiberglass for an estimate. They're right down the road from you. Hector does excellent work, charges reasonable rates, and had our boat back to us in a matter of days.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 07-07-2006, 04:30 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1979 Stars & Stripes Skier
Go get some 3M gelcoat compound, it's about $60 per gallon....it works great, start with wetsanding then go to this stuff, it will remove any stain on the gel coat.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar,190,1994,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantroberts
Has anyone ever attempted, or heard of, changing the color of your hull gelcoat. I've got a 2001 Prostar 209. Wide black stripe, white on the bottom. The bottom (white, but now more of an off-white...)is looking pretty dirty despite yearly hoisted-off-the-trailer buffing by a professional. I was considering having the gelcoat augmented so that the entire lower half of the boat - from the rubrail down - is black. Plus, I think it'd look pretty money. Is this possible? Who would do it? Expensive? Any info would be appreciated.
It is actually a fairly easy thing to do if you know what you are doing. Prep is no fun. Must be sanded and major defects fixed. Spray on polyester gel coat to the correct guage, spray on water soluable PVA (wash off once gel is cured). Wet sand when done or not depending on how it looks to you. Most importantly use a high quality Gelcoat. Black can go bad on you quick.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:55 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier
etduc, was that from a nearby MC glass guy? Or was that from G&B possibly? Was that using factory gel coat?.....
Doug, Yeah, but not exactly apples to apples. My case, older hull, rough bottom, plus hull repair. In my case, decided to not do project. Money would be better spent, towards newer boat.

I was just giving the guy, an idea, what kinda of price.
Thanks for the lead.

(Also, not sure I'm comfortable, talking about my rough bottom.. On the internet.

1994 RED Mastercraft 205, Chevy 5.7 TBI.