Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Maristar
Shaft log broke

Just got home after running the boat 3 miles back to the boat ramp with water coming in at an alarming rate.

I think the shaft log or packing nut has quit, not sure yet as it is dark and have not had time to work on it.

We were in deep water and hit nothing but noticed the boat was driving very differently than normal. I also noticed the pump was running and not willing to stop. When I opened up the bildge cover the water was about 2 inches from the top.

I also noticed when I pullled it out the water, water gushed out the top end of the shaft.

If this has ever happened or it sound like something you have seen before I would be interested in knowing what happened.

I have the 96 maristar 200vrs.

Thanks
Old 07-04-2006, 08:25 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
dont know is the packing bad?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Either you need to tighten the stuffing box, replace the packing in the stuffing box or you have torn the rubber tube that is between the shaft log and the packing nut.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 Maristar
After looking at it this morning I think the rubber tube is torn, I just can't believe it happened the night before the 4th.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:19 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
[quote=love2fly]After looking at it this morning I think the rubber tube is torn, I just can't believe it happened the night before the 4th.[/QUOTE

Your local dealer has or can get a replacement and www.skidim.com has replacements.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.