Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 07-02-2006, 02:10 AM
TT Regular

Repalcement Brake Pads for Boat Trailers

Does anyone know where I can get replacement organic pads for my trailer? I was told that they were the same pads as the 1997-2000 Kia Sephia - but everytime I went to go pick them up, there were only semi metalic pads not good for a trailer that is always in the water. Any ideas where I can pick them up?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2006, 09:19 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20winn
Does anyone know where I can get replacement organic pads for my trailer? I was told that they were the same pads as the 1997-2000 Kia Sephia - but everytime I went to go pick them up, there were only semi metalic pads not good for a trailer that is always in the water. Any ideas where I can pick them up?

Thanks
What year trailer do you have and what brand of braking system do you have? You do not have your boat info listed in your profile!
If they are UFP[Unique Functional Products] Disc Brakes used by MC prior to 2003, the the original parts # is 6340BX HHEE 125 KH/H343 stamped on the pad backing plate, OR
At a auto parts store, 1991 Plymouth Acclaim/Sundance or 1991 Dodge Daytona/Spirit front disc brake pads.
As far as the newer disc brake systems MC uses, I do not have that info.
Unless you leave your trailer in the water 24/7/365 you probably won't get the pads much wetter than if you washed the tires and wheels on your car or truck by just launching and loading your boat. What happens to any brakes in a HEAVY rain? They will get wet! Don't worry about them being semi-metallic, the heat generated during braking the first time or two will dry the pads out and clean them off real quick!
A lot of the newer replacement pads/shoes are available with Kevlar, ceramic and carbon fiber compounds, which aids in faster cooling, less heat, longer wear, less noise and less brake dust, corrosion and stain on the wheels.

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.

Last edited by TMCNo1; 07-02-2006 at 05:57 PM.