Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 06-30-2006, 02:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft ProStar 190 w/ LT1
Trailer Brakes

I have a 94' ProStar with a single-axle trailer and the trailer brakes don't work. It doesn't slam forward when I stop, but the drums never engage.

Should I spend the money to get this fixed? I'm towing it with a Chevy Avalanche. I don't really want to spend the money to get this fixed if I don't have to.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
My $ 0.02 is that you WANT to have functioning brakes in the rare even of a panic stop.

I have a 93 prostar and I tow it with a 2003 Ford Expediton ... with vehicles our size it feels like the truck can handle the stop, but trust me the braking distances can be shorter with functioning brakes.

Besides, most states require trailer brakes with the weights we are talking about > 2,000 lbs.

Have a great day!

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 07-06-2006, 04:29 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Get 'em fixed. The parts aren't terribly expensive. On the day I got mine fixed, I almost had the most horrible accident pulling the boat. My tow vehicle was old and had no ABS. Had I not just had my braking system repaired on the trailer, things would've been very, very bad.

I now tow with an Expedition and have had to replace yet another braking component. Even with a better tow veheicle, it still makes a noticeable difference having functioning brakes.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:39 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft ProStar 190 w/ LT1
Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
Brake line may be leaking

I believe in 1994 the trailer had the brake line enclosed in a plastic sleeve where it went through the trailer frame. I will bet that if you check the fluid reserve, it will be empty with no visible sign of the lost fluid. If this is the case, you will likely find that if you put more fluid in, it will appear to allow you to bleed the system and will start to "work" for a trip or two to the lake. Then mysteriously, the fluid will disappear again and the brakes will quit. This is what happened to me (on a 1992 trailer), and it turned out the brake line had a pin hole size hole that would actually hold enough pressure that you could bleed the system, but would still leak when braking. I think it took about 6-8 trips to the lake before the master cylinder reserve was dry again, and there was absolutely no sign of any fluid anywhere. If you have this issue, get rid of the plastic sleeve, and replace the brake line with stainless steel line. It will eliminate bleeding the brakes multiple times which is not really any fun.

Good Luck.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:31 PM
MC Hero

I too had the brake line problems resulting from the sleeve, but thought it had been resolved by 94. If there was no fluid, wouldn't the actuator noticeably bang against the tow vehicle? Definitely something to check though. Like WTRSK1R, I had to replace the lines with stainless. A bit costly, but worth it IMO.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205 w/351 H.O. 4 Blade CNC Acme
Can "any" brake shop do the work on these trailers? I really want to get the bearings replaced, packed, etc. And figured they would know the same. Just really dont want to mess with it.

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it is unfamiliar territory."
Old 07-06-2006, 05:40 PM
MC Hero

Got mine done at a local shop that specializes in brake and alignment. They've replaced the brake lines, the wheel cylinders, the master cylinder, and aligned the axle in conjunction with my lift. They didn't have any of the parts (although they got the SS brake lines locally). I ordered the parts from Trailers by Dorsey in OK.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 07-06-2006, 05:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 MasterCraft ProStar 197
I never really had the trailer "bang" even when there was no fluid in it. But then again, that trailer used to make a fairly loud clunk as I pulled away from a stop (as the tongue pulled back out) even when the brakes were working correctly.

Sanjuan23, as far as brake service goes, there is nothing special about the surge brakes on the older trailers. I would expect that any "competent" brake shop should be able to service both the brakes and the wheel bearings if you wanted to have that done.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:41 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTRSK1R
I never really had the trailer "bang" even when there was no fluid in it. But then again, that trailer used to make a fairly loud clunk as I pulled away from a stop (as the tongue pulled back out) even when the brakes were working correctly.

Sanjuan23, as far as brake service goes, there is nothing special about the surge brakes on the older trailers. I would expect that any "competent" brake shop should be able to service both the brakes and the wheel bearings if you wanted to have that done.
Come to think of it, my never "banged" either and clunks when I pull away. I did noticed (when my second master cylinder failed) that it hit a little harder than usual when I stopped though.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club