Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 02-24-2015, 12:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
Equal time rule.
whats with the skinny flame arrestor?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:30 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
LOL! You better come out to ski with us this summer!
Hoping to. My 9 year old is headed to Greenville for a week of ski school in June. Wish I could join him.

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
whats with the skinny flame arrestor?
Helped with the clearance issue after I added an Edelbrock performer intake manifold. Not much room under those early 90s motorboxes.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Issue resolved?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Gekko GTR22 (but I'm a MC owner at heart)
Update:
My buddy and I downloaded the factory PCM shop manual for the year/model. Going through the motions now to check all suggestions on the thread (thanks to all for your suggestions).

For those interested, here's a link to the page full of manuals etc. Scroll way down for PCM manuals, Perfect pass manuals, etc... http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/fo...uals-brochures

Using a factory Ford OBD1 code reader, we can access any codes stored in the ECA memory. He's ordering one today. about $20. We should get this resolved soon. I'll post when we find out what's going on.

Interestingly, since the boat ran so long at a higher temperature than normal for about 2 years, we think the computer algorithm that "adapts" the computer to conditions may have a little something to do with the engine running poorly as it seems to be sorting itself out every time we run the boat to test it. (shaking my head)....Would be nice to understand how to set the computer back to "factory" out of the box settings so that we could start from scratch. In automotive, you can just disconnect the battery for more than a few minutes and it resets all. Any thoughts out there on this theory?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:16 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Quote:
Helped with the clearance issue after I added an Edelbrock performer intake manifold. Not much room under those early 90s motorboxes.
Did the new intake make any real changes?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:18 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
Did the new intake make any real changes?
According to my butt-dyno, yes. Really great mid range torque bump. That, coupled with an Acme 541, and I never wanted for more from that boat out of the hole.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ...
hi, I had the GT40 engine in my last Nautique (97 Sport). Great engine and TBH, much nicer than the 310 TBI in my Xstar.. Anyway, back on topic, I haven't read all the posts so this may well have been covered already. There is a small hose inside the FCC housing, they can and do develop small cracks which are near impossible to spot and will cause problems along the lines of what you say. Given that the housing has been opened to change the filter, I would be looking towards this. I changed the hose on mine at the same time as replacing the FCC as it can be a total pig removing the filter housing - nip to your local motor factors (or whatever they are called in the US) and pick up a small length of fuel hose,even if you think yours is good, replace it - just be sure the hose is rated to be emerged in fuel, many hoses only rate for fuel internally, not externally. I would definitely start with this before going elsewhere, a common problem....
Old 03-08-2015, 04:45 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 Gekko GTR22 (but I'm a MC owner at heart)
Thanks to all.....

Thank you to all for such great response to this thread!

The issue has been resolved!!!!!!

After purchasing a moderately priced code reader, we gave the engine a full DTC test and came up with no diagnostic trouble codes. Since last week, we ran our theory of the computer algorithm by a couple of GT-40 gurus at PCM (see update posted on 03/02). They confirmed our theory and indicated that if we got a clean DTC check, our theory would be the most likely culprit. Since the original issue, we have had about 15 temperature cycles of running the engine up to operating temp and then cooling down. The algorithm takes about 40 cycles to average its outputs and it adjusts engine performance with each cycle. With each cycle, the engine has continued to perform better. As of today there is a very small and barely noticeable miss (maybe one cylinder) about every 200 motor revolutions only at the 1200 RPM engine speed that we assume will eventually disappear. Still have no idea how to "reset" the ECM to factory settings but we will take this as a successful repair.

Thanks again to all!!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
I love mine.

I really didn't want to say anything but isn't that some dust on the left valve cover?..😄

Tags
electrical, gt-40, pcm