Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 01-20-2016, 12:39 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X39
Low Battery Alarm/wiring

I have an 02 X30. It's a dual battery setup ran through a master switch. The switch has positions for battery 1, battery 2, or both. I replaced the switch last year with a new one but when I run it in the "both" position the boat will only run about 30 seconds before an alarm will start going off. I have always assumed that it's a low battery alarm. It's a constant, very annoying "beeeep."
My original solution was to take the switch out and run all positive and negative connections to one battery. This solution works although I miss my switch for the convenience factor. How should I have my switch wired? What should go to post "1". Post "2" and so on? Is the problem my wiring or possibly the charging system? Two new batteries last year and a new alternator year before that.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2016, 02:31 AM
Banned

Boat: 2006 X9
Not sure how to wire it but your bad batteries might have been the cause of your starter going bad. Can you keep it connected to a battery tender when not in use to keep the batteries strong?
Old 01-20-2016, 06:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
1st question, why did it need a new switch?
2nd, did you replace it with the same type of switch as one with a 1/2/BOTH?

Only one way to properly wire this type of switch: post 1 connected to a battery, post 2 connected to a battery and remaining post gets the main starter cable, helm BUSS B+ and any other output cables.

Once this is verified, its time to break out the volt meter if the problem continues.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-30
Same boat, same issues. My alarm likes to come and go. I can use the boat for 8 hours with no issue then next time out alarm is constantly going off. Next day no issues. Was going to cut the alarm out but I could not locate it under the dash.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:12 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjimmy33 View Post
Same boat, same issues. My alarm likes to come and go. I can use the boat for 8 hours with no issue then next time out alarm is constantly going off. Next day no issues. Was going to cut the alarm out but I could not locate it under the dash.

Seems like it senses low voltage at idle, that is what mine did even when the batts were full.

He might want to check the Alt, may not put enough to run the stereo and amps if the battery is low or not even low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-7, 2004, MXC350,
I had a similar issue with my 04 X-7 and was traced to a partially broken lead on the engine alternator. At idle, it was low voltage. Once at cruise speed, it was OK. Boat shop in Knoxville found the almost broken wire and seemed to go away. May be a place to look for a similar issue.

Tags
alarm, electrical, maintenance, wiring, wiring diagram