Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 12:03 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2015 Mastercraft X2
Cool I hear there's a club I can join...

When I first got my MC and was looking into a spare trailer tire and building my kit to change tires, I read that someone said, "it's not if you will get a flat trailer tire, it's when." So today was my day - only going on my third season with a new 2015 X2 (purchased in fall of 2015, so 2016 was our first year with it). It's a single axle trailer and had the factory tires on it.

Is there a VIP area in this club if you've blown two tires in one day/outing? If so, I'm in!

It also did some good damage to the fender - the first one had an effect like a crimped wire wheel and took the paint off really quickly. There was some misc. bending of the fender too, but overall not the end of the world - glad the fender took the brunt of it instead of kicking up onto the hull in any way.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2018, 12:13 AM
TT Regular

...now the rest of the story.

First time out this year, when pulling the boat out of storage, the wife noticed a tear in the tread on one tire, so I immediately swapped it for the spare that I had. We noticed the other original tire had some cracking in the rubber, but nothing extreme (or so I though). Drove back to the house (about 10 minutes away) and got the boat all loaded up (batteries installed, gear, etc.). We then drove to the lake (30 minutes via the highway). No issues on the way there.

On the way home, just got on the highway (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile down the road) and the first tire goes. This is the one you can see that's on the spare carrier. It's the one that took the paint off the fender - one of the pictures shows the rear fender has what looks like a silver stripe. Then I put the other tire on - this is the one we knew had an issue. So I drove (slowly) to the next exit and we took back roads the rest of the way. I made it to about 1/2 mile of my house and the second tire goes...I ended up driving it to the neighborhood as it was since there wasn't an ideal place to park it and let it sit overnight.

Now the search for tires... I was going to contact Peter (thatsmrmastercraft) about a new one, but now I need one as soon as possible to get the boat out of my neighborhood and back to the storage unit. ...and I need two of them.

Oh well, no other issues, so I guess we were rather lucky. I don't think there is any other functional damage to the trailer, but haven't looked at it that well yet to see.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:39 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
wow 3 years and a tire failure
Old 05-26-2018, 09:47 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 X-Star
I knocked this out day one of MC ownership.. I blew a tire the day I picked up my X-Star... At least yours didn't destroy your fender..
Old 05-26-2018, 10:04 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellyUpFish View Post
I knocked this out day one of MC ownership.. I blew a tire the day I picked up my X-Star... At least yours didn't destroy your fender..
Wow - day one!? My fender is pretty beat up, but it looks like it is still functional and won't rub on new tires. When you lost yours did it wreck the fend to the point it had to be removed/replaced in order to use the trailer?

Last edited by SpartanNate; 05-26-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:07 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14, 40th Anniversary Edition, MCX w/ Powerslot
Oh man, what a day! Glad the fender got the worst of it!
Old 05-26-2018, 10:42 AM

Boat: XT22
And I was just thinking recently that I hadn't read many horror stories about blown tires lately. (seriously). Glad it wasn't worse.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X2 5.7 Pro Surf Gen 2
I have had 4 tires replaced on my 2014 single axel trailer in the past 2 seasons. IMO the x2 is too heavy for a single axel. Dry weight is 4300 pounds plus gear and the trailer weight pushes those tires to the limit.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
What speeds are you guys driving on average? Carlisle and Kenda make a great trailer tire... tire pressure critical.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 03:42 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
What speeds are you guys driving on average? Carlisle and Kenda make a great trailer tire... tire pressure critical.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I drive about 65 on the highway which tends to be the majority of my towing.