Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-17-2017, 12:54 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2008 MCX
House Battery Issue

New owner to 08 X2. Love it, except the house battery is being a pain.

Test drove it and had to throw in an okd battery in the #2 house battery spot cause the guy only had the crank battery in. With both batteries in, all electronics functioned and that MCX engine and a REAL boarding wake might have blinded me so I pulled the trigger.

The comdensed issue: Believe that 2nd battery got run down with battery switch in off position on lift over a week. Crank battery 1 starts engine no issue, but only in "on" position. Then I have to flip battery to "combine" to run engine and stereo, ballast pumps, etc. So I assumed old battery was dead and probably crappy so I replaced with new bluetop AGM (Identical to battery 1, "dual purpose"). Same deal with switch to "on" to start Nd "combine" to have full function. Thought, maybe new battery 2 needs charged, so I ran around the lake in Combine and figured the switch/ relay would get them both charged up for me, No dice.

Dealer said there maybe should be a direct cable link connecting negative to negative on the two batteries to "ground" it, I tried that without luck. (Blue sea switch wiring doesnt appear to show that to me anyways).

So I've learned a lot from the Dual Battey Thread and some other threads, but still need help. Thanks a ton in advance, got to get this figured out cause wifey's not too happy about buying a "broken" boat.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
It sounds to me like you're missing a cable connection or you have a fuse/breaker open on the circuit that's not working. It's a fairly simple circuit but I've missed hooking up a cable and had the breaker trip with similar results in the past.

Try not to over think it and trace the cables back through the switch. A wiring diagram of the circuit would help trace the circuit. Pictures of your battery installation would help and wiring might help someone with the same set up see something you may be missing.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:06 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
It sounds to me like you're missing a cable connection or you have a fuse/breaker open on the circuit that's not working. It's a fairly simple circuit but I've missed hooking up a cable and had the breaker trip with similar results in the past.

Try not to over think it and trace the cables back through the switch. A wiring diagram of the circuit would help trace the circuit. Pictures of your battery installation would help and wiring might help someone with the same set up see something you may be missing.
Yeah, I've set saturday aside to actually spend some time with it. Plus just lookjng forward to getting into the internals and figuring her out.
Will try and attach what I think is wirkng diagram later.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Go buy an inexpensive digital volt meter from hardware or auto parts store. It will go a long way in diagnosing the issue and end a log of guessing and speculation.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Sounds like not everything is functional when it's in the "On" position? I'd be looking at the house battery wiring. "On" is the normal position for your boat and everything should work. The "Combine" position is supposed to be used when you have a battery issue until you can get the failed battery replaced or charged. Do not change the position of the switch while the engine is running. Your boat should have a VSR and will charge both batteries with the switch in the On position.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:49 PM
TT Newbie

Kieth, no the house only functions in the combine position after ignition in the on position. I know combine is for emergency starting after crank battery is dead, but its like the opposite problem whit h is why I got the new 2nd batterry as soon as I could. I was wondering if it was bad to switch while running. I can deal with no radio just fine, but the ballast pumps...thats a deal breaker.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X-30 MCX
Yep, something wrong with the switch itself or someone mucked up the wiring. Your house load (stereo, etc) should run off the second battery when the switch is in the On position.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Wouldn't be the first switch to go bad. I had one literally fall apart when I went to switch it to the on position. Might be a good place to start. Disconnect the batteries and check continuity of the switch positions and go from there.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeDays171 View Post
New owner to 08 X2. Love it, except the house battery is being a pain.

Test drove it and had to throw in an okd battery in the #2 house battery spot cause the guy only had the crank battery in. With both batteries in, all electronics functioned and that MCX engine and a REAL boarding wake might have blinded me so I pulled the trigger.

The comdensed issue: Believe that 2nd battery got run down with battery switch in off position on lift over a week. Crank battery 1 starts engine no issue, but only in "on" position. Then I have to flip battery to "combine" to run engine and stereo, ballast pumps, etc. So I assumed old battery was dead and probably crappy so I replaced with new bluetop AGM (Identical to battery 1, "dual purpose"). Same deal with switch to "on" to start Nd "combine" to have full function. Thought, maybe new battery 2 needs charged, so I ran around the lake in Combine and figured the switch/ relay would get them both charged up for me, No dice.

Dealer said there maybe should be a direct cable link connecting negative to negative on the two batteries to "ground" it, I tried that without luck. (Blue sea switch wiring doesnt appear to show that to me anyways).

So I've learned a lot from the Dual Battey Thread and some other threads, but still need help. Thanks a ton in advance, got to get this figured out cause wifey's not too happy about buying a "broken" boat.
Do you have a multi-meter? If so, check for current draw on the House battery. Remove all fuses, disconnect the main cranking battery and look at the current- if it's more than a few milli-Amps, something is powered on, or something is incorrectly wired.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:20 PM
TT Newbie

Found some resolution this past Saturday. Both batteries read the full 12 volts. There were a few fuses out behind the battery switch which I replaced without a full resolution to the problem. Reading the voltage off the posts on the back of the switch I found that in the true on position the house circuit was reading only about 2.5 volts on one post. Engine circuit was full 12 volts. This explains why engine starts but the stereo won't come to full life in the "on" position. Connections were slightly loose and brought the voltage up to about 3 volts. Finally, I fiddled with the switch itself. I got the "DC Main" LED light to come to full power at about half way between the the off and on position on the switch and read the voltage up at full 12 volts. Turned the ignition on and the stereo came with it as it should. So nice call Bturner2, bad switch. New one on order for about $50.

Thanks all.

Tags
battery, battery switch, electrical, wiring