Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 08-18-2014, 12:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft X2 350
X2 08 Electrical ghost Wake plate,blower, amp

Ok. I need some help, this one has me going crazy. Took the boat out on the lake the other day and noticed a high pitch noise from the speakers. My large JL amp had the red protection light on. Ok seems logical that its time to replace it. I disconnected the power/ remote and the ground wires just in case there was a short. At the same this is going on the blower will not turn on. when its time to adjust the wake plate it shows up on the sceen but no response. Shows it in the 0 (up) postion but is actually in the full down. Tried manually pushing it up with no luck. So there is one more ghost that showed up this spring and that is the the post ballast pic disapears as if there is no tank there. It still fills and empties as normal sometimes it shows empty. So any takers on this ghost. BTW I always switch off the batteries if being left for more than a couple of days. I wonder if all if this is a ground gone bad but there are a ton of wires and no clue were to start. I do have a Fluke mutli meter to test but where?
Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Was 2007 X1 - now looking
Before you start chasing wires, I would completely disconnect the batteries (hoping this will reset anything that may be screwed up with your electronics). Then reconnect only one fully charged battery without the use of the multi-battery switch. Loose wires, crappy grounds, low batteries, etc. cause all kinds of electrical ghosts.

Hope it is this simple and good luck.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Bobx1, thank you for the idea. But it did nit fix the problem. Dealer said it's probably a fuse. Going through step by step working back from each component. Ducks that the sun is shining and I'm in the driveway.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Ok I reset the vdg on the dash and the wake plate started working. Pulled the circuit breaker for the blower and discovered the wire connection was off. What I believe happened is that when the wire came off it grounded out the trim tab for a brief moment which messed with the 0 setting for the wake plate. I'm thinking the amp is shot since it is smoking hot and has an awful buzzing. Guess it's time to plunk down the wallet for a new one.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevro View Post
Ok I reset the vdg on the dash and the wake plate started working. Pulled the circuit breaker for the blower and discovered the wire connection was off. What I believe happened is that when the wire came off it grounded out the trim tab for a brief moment which messed with the 0 setting for the wake plate. I'm thinking the amp is shot since it is smoking hot and has an awful buzzing. Guess it's time to plunk down the wallet for a new one.
Anyone else have issues with the JL amplifier? We had to replace ours 4 years ago. It was doing the same thing, after replacing no issue at all...
Old 08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdevro View Post
Ok. I need some help, this one has me going crazy. Took the boat out on the lake the other day and noticed a high pitch noise from the speakers. My large JL amp had the red protection light on. Ok seems logical that its time to replace it. I disconnected the power/ remote and the ground wires just in case there was a short. At the same this is going on the blower will not turn on. when its time to adjust the wake plate it shows up on the sceen but no response. Shows it in the 0 (up) postion but is actually in the full down. Tried manually pushing it up with no luck. So there is one more ghost that showed up this spring and that is the the post ballast pic disapears as if there is no tank there. It still fills and empties as normal sometimes it shows empty. So any takers on this ghost. BTW I always switch off the batteries if being left for more than a couple of days. I wonder if all if this is a ground gone bad but there are a ton of wires and no clue were to start. I do have a Fluke mutli meter to test but where?
Who installed the audio and other aftermarket accessories? Tell them to do it right. That means, the audio system doesn't share power or ground with anything else, except where everything connects at the battery.

Without seeing a diagram, I would never try to guess on a question like this. There's almost no info to go by. A complete diagram of the audio system and accessory wiring would be the minimum needed for troubleshooting. Without this, it would be hopeless.

Tags
amplifier, ballast senders, blower, electrical, wake plate