Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-06-2009, 11:11 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
auto parts store for tune up items?

Can I get my distributer cap and rotor from the auto parts store or is it a "marine " item? I plan on getting the plugs and wires from them.
Also about the distributer, is it supposed to have one of the springs bigger than the other, under no tension? What is a good dizzy to just replace the whole thing that has an optical pick up and none of that points related stuff? Thanks Art
Boat is a 1981 351W velvet drive

Last edited by 1redTA; 09-06-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-06-2009, 11:32 AM
MC Hero

Boat: Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redTA View Post
Can I get my distributer cap and rotor from the auto parts store or is it a "marine " item? I plan on getting the plugs and wires from them.
Also about the distributer, is it supposed to have one of the springs bigger than the other, under no tension? What is a good dizzy to just replace the whole thing that has an optical pick up and none of that points related stuff? Thanks Art
Boat is a 1981 351W velvet drive

Auto parts ignition parts should be fine for cap, rotor, wires, and (AC #24) set @ 032") plugs.
I would think both springs should be the same size.
Call http://www.skidim.com/contactus.asp and see if the have or can recommend the right springs and they have breakerless distributors too if you choose to go that route, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA107025A

Quote: 2RLAKE,
At some point in time people need to wake up, remove their cranial intrusion into their own rectal areas, and take responsibility for their own actions.