Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-21-2018, 12:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
Virtual Slalom Skiing - Potential Game Changer

Didn't see any thread on this topic, but anyone here that's also on BoS may have seen a recent update on a new app called Virtual Slalom Skiing. I saw the title thinking, "oh, this could be a fun little game to play on my phone when I'm bored"...

http://virtualslalomskiing.com/

Well, it turns out that it's suppose to be a highly-sophisticated app that you use to record yourself while carving the water and it gives you a score based on distance skied in a matter of 6 turns. They just released a Beta version for iOS store only (Android requires more funding). It's in an infant-stage, but their long-term goal is to, along with many feature updates along the way, is to make it work with AR (augmented-reality) goggles. It would be great for so many of us that want to ski a course but don't have the means/access to one locally.

Their purpose for this app is to get more people out skiing on a lake, and upcoming features will allow multi-person challenges to beat each others score, among many other things to invite some fun competition.

Funding, technology, and amount if interest are the main factors in how far this app will go. If you have an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, I'd sign-up and check it out. The official release won't be until next Spring, so it's technically just in Beta/test mode now and will probably have a decent number of glitches/problems to be ironed out.

I'm not a affiliated with it, nor have I even tried it yet because I haven't been to the lake since last week, but I just wanted to share it with y'all. I was actually just talking to my dad about virtual skiing with a course through AR because we can't realistically put up our own course any time soon. I told him the technology probably isn't there yet, but even more so, who in the world would spend their time/money to make such a thing for the niche market of slalom skiing... Well, apparently USA Waterski thinks there's a market because they're helping fund this project!
Old 08-21-2018, 11:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
What a great idea! I am on BOS, but didn't see this thread.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
This is Jennifer Leachman LaPoint's baby
Old 08-21-2018, 12:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
Yeah, I'm hoping to try it sometime this week. It sounds like they have the right people working on it and backing it. Would love to see this work longterm.

I just got the new ski-doc orbit pylon camera mount, but the only apple device we have in the house is an iPad, so we'll probably just have the spotter hold it...

Tags
augmented, reality, skiing, slalom, virtual