Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 02-26-2018, 12:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 24' Whaler
Looking for Slalom Ski Upgrade - Help me choose!

Currently skiing a 67" Connelly Concept from circa 2000 - 18 years ago. I took a few seasons off, but got back into it last year and want to continue & progress!

I'm Male - 180#'s - Skiing at 32 mph usually 22' off - mostly just open water (no course). Looking for a ski that'll be easy to get up on using just one and that'll be fun to carve.

Thinking of these 3 - all with front boot and rear toe.... Anyone care to offer any insight?!?!

Connelly V with Sync bindings
Radar Alloy Senate with Vector bindings
HO Carbon Omni with xMax bindings

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...8221/index.asp

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...8241/index.asp

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...8141/index.asp
Old 02-26-2018, 12:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
What if you could get a higher end [top of the line] ski for about 200 more? Are these options cost driven?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:38 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT
Those all seem to be exactly what you are looking for.
I have a senate and have skied anywhere from 30mph to 34mph at 22 off and can only say great things. The vector bindings are comfy, but still let you ski hard when you want to.

I have heard good things about the others as well, have just only been on the radar.

Sounds like you have a good dilemma to have, good luck hunting.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 24' Whaler
@slalomjunkie - mostly skiing open water and not the course... after taking 20 years off I'm not sure I need the hardness and the speed of an all carbon, lithium, graphite - might need want and need the forgiveness of the alloy and poly resin core. and yes, the $ plays a role - was initially thinking $500-$750 budget so most of these are already towards the top end.

Really tough choice - especially between the V and Senate as those are my two top choices as of now... They both seem like great options and likely both would work.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongPond XT20 View Post
@slalomjunkie - mostly skiing open water and not the course... after taking 20 years off I'm not sure I need the hardness and the speed of an all carbon, lithium, graphite - might need want and need the forgiveness of the alloy and poly resin core. and yes, the $ plays a role - was initially thinking $500-$750 budget so most of these are already towards the top end.

Really tough choice - especially between the V and Senate as those are my two top choices as of now... They both seem like great options and likely both would work.
going to PM you.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Radar Alloy Senate is a solid choice and responds well to mistakes and different styles, it has great performance and also does a super job with open water skiing... my $0.02.

I want to upgrade my current Senate, but need to get my offside turn back before I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongPond XT20 View Post
Currently skiing a 67" Connelly Concept from circa 2000 - 18 years ago. I took a few seasons off, but got back into it last year and want to continue & progress!

I'm Male - 180#'s - Skiing at 32 mph usually 22' off - mostly just open water (no course). Looking for a ski that'll be easy to get up on using just one and that'll be fun to carve.

Thinking of these 3 - all with front boot and rear toe.... Anyone care to offer any insight?!?!

Connelly V with Sync bindings
Radar Alloy Senate with Vector bindings
HO Carbon Omni with xMax bindings

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...8221/index.asp

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...8241/index.asp

http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...8141/index.asp

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 02-26-2018, 03:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes Prostar 190 351 285 hp
I went from a Concept to a V and did pretty well. The V gets you out of the water much better. As will a good boat driver. High end skis are for high end skiers. I was a 32 mph 15 off hack at a ski club, and was ridiculed constantly by "better" skiers about my ski choice. They were better, no doubt, but not on a podium. They also fell all the time trying to get to elusive speeds and line lengths. I was into full passes and not pushing it. So your goals as a skier should be taken into consideration.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 197 Prostar 40th Anniversary
I had a senate alloy and i loved it. great ski for what you're looking for. very stable, forgiving, and the ability to do whatever you want. great for open water and if you're looking to some some runs in the course, it will do that too. it's only .2 or .4 (can't remember what the actual numbers were) wider than the vapor. Although, this years vapor i believe is completely different so i'm not sure if they match up with the senates anymore.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
I have a Radar Senate alloy. 67” 2017 model. Front Vector boot, I wear a size 10, rear is hybrid. I have about 25 Rides on it. Perfect condition with bag $600
Old 02-26-2018, 10:24 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft 205, 1999, LTR
I am an open water non-competitive skier also and usually ski at 15' off at 34 mph and love the Connelly Carbon V. It cuts hard and stays on edge but is very stable and not squirrly. It is also easier to get up on.

Tags
connelly, radar, senate, ski, slalom