Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 04-03-2018, 02:40 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 PS214
Any opinion on an Obrien G2 circa 1993? I'll be getting back on it with regularity for the first time in 20 years. May need a shaped ski, Yikes! Any recommendations? Nice to be back in it, enjoying reading through the forums. Good luck with your pick!
Old 04-03-2018, 02:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealB View Post
Any opinion on an Obrien G2 circa 1993? I'll be getting back on it with regularity for the first time in 20 years. May need a shaped ski, Yikes! Any recommendations? Nice to be back in it, enjoying reading through the forums. Good luck with your pick!
You won't be in it too long or too enjoyably skiing on an antique ski. You might as well buy an anvil and strap a binding to it.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:14 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 PS214
Gonna ride it for a while, there is some sentimental value there. Bought her when I was 13, had my eye on it most that summer, learned to ski behind a '73 Penn Yan, Always a free skier. Tough to turn my back right away on that O'Brien. Besides, with buying the boat, kids, etc are digging into Dad's Slalom Ski fund.

opinion noted. I will shadow the advice given to the OP.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
You won't be in it too long or too enjoyably skiing on an antique ski. You might as well buy an anvil and strap a binding to it.
ah youth!!! I can still run into 32 off on my Mastercraft Pulse from and that was from 1985 ish.. Bob LaPoint knew know to design a ski
Old 04-03-2018, 04:21 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Get an open water ski like an older HO FreeRide - with animal bindings or an Omni. they keep changing the ski - but them Animal Bindings are awesome. If you're not going to kit the course you can get a fine ski for 5-600 bucks - even used on ebay
Old 04-03-2018, 05:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
ah youth!!! I can still run into 32 off on my Mastercraft Pulse from and that was from 1985 ish.. Bob LaPoint knew know to design a ski
Is that with the wing removed?

Quote:
Gonna ride it for a while, there is some sentimental value there. Bought her when I was 13, had my eye on it most that summer, learned to ski behind a '73 Penn Yan, Always a free skier. Tough to turn my back right away on that O'Brien. Besides, with buying the boat, kids, etc are digging into Dad's Slalom Ski fund.
The difference between a 25 yr old ski and a new one, you’d be *shocked*…. It would be like going from a ‘74 ford pinto to a ‘18 porsche…
Old 04-04-2018, 06:17 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:

Binding is probably rotted out and hole pattern is NLA. So give it a good look before you try it.

Lots of siege variants in our crawlspace.

Tags
connelly, radar, senate, ski, slalom