Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2016, 08:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft X-45, 2006, 8.1 liter
Question Spare Parts to Have on Hand

So I learned the hard way over the weekend that you should never read the fuel gauge on my new to me 06 X-45 while underway. It resulted in running out of gas on my way back to the marina (5 miles away). We got that handled without too much trouble.

So now I've read that running out of gas can damage the fuel pump. Mine seams to still work just fine, but I'm contemplating taking a spare with me on the week long trips to Lake Powell.

My question for everyone is: What spare parts would you make sure to have on hand for an Indmar 8.1, and what is your priority?

I already plan to have a spare impeller, prop, bilge pump and ballast impellers. After that, I would probably include a serpentine belt and maybe some hot water hoses along with various hose clamps.

Should a fuel pump and the tools to change it now be on my list? What is on your list?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2016, 05:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: trying for '15 X-46 w/ 7.4 ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnord View Post
So I learned the hard way over the weekend that you should never read the fuel gauge on my new to me 06 X-45 while underway. It resulted in running out of gas on my way back to the marina (5 miles away). We got that handled without too much trouble.

So now I've read that running out of gas can damage the fuel pump. Mine seams to still work just fine, but I'm contemplating taking a spare with me on the week long trips to Lake Powell.

My question for everyone is: What spare parts would you make sure to have on hand for an Indmar 8.1, and what is your priority?

I already plan to have a spare impeller, prop, bilge pump and ballast impellers. After that, I would probably include a serpentine belt and maybe some hot water hoses along with various hose clamps.

Should a fuel pump and the tools to change it now be on my list? What is on your list?

Thanks!
I am going to pay close attention to this thread.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:21 AM
TT Newbie

Should I ask the question a different way?

What has resulted in you being dead in the water that was a relatively simple repair?

Maybe I'm just paranoid after owning my 1987 Supra for so long. It was a great boat, but still had occasional issues.

Are our boats so reliable that these things don't go wrong?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
I think you should just get another 06 x45 and bring it along that way you will have all kinds of parts to pick from....

But seriously.. you just need to go over it good before you go, make sure you have enough fuel and or carry some extra if needed... and have a good time... you just don't know what will quit when... my only thing would be an extra motor belt.. if you have a new impeller and you carry a spare you have most of it covered.. if your alternator goes out you can get by without tunes.. the rest is just guessing... fuel pump and tools ? change the fuel filter for sure though before you go...

have fun!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190
Dead in the water

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnord View Post
Should I ask the question a different way?

What has resulted in you being dead in the water that was a relatively simple repair?

Maybe I'm just paranoid after owning my 1987 Supra for so long. It was a great boat, but still had occasional issues.

Are our boats so reliable that these things don't go wrong?
Dead in the water from a damn bad kill switch.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
I would add couple spark plugs with the 8.1 as your engine.

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 06-09-2016, 11:53 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
I think you should just get another 06 x45 and bring it along that way you will have all kinds of parts to pick from....

But seriously.. you just need to go over it good before you go, make sure you have enough fuel and or carry some extra if needed... and have a good time... you just don't know what will quit when... my only thing would be an extra motor belt.. if you have a new impeller and you carry a spare you have most of it covered.. if your alternator goes out you can get by without tunes.. the rest is just guessing... fuel pump and tools ? change the fuel filter for sure though before you go...

have fun!
I love your first suggestion, but if I'm taking two, one will be the smallest direct drive I can get away with. Then when the 45 struggles, I'll just switch over and enjoy the slalom wakes that I miss. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:00 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
I never boat without this kit!! I put it together a while back and the second season of boating the pump went out. Took about an hour to change it out on the water.

If you have ran your boat out of gas or low on gas it's only a matter of time.
Attached Images

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:05 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks CantRepeat! That's exactly what I'm worried about and what I'm considering being prepared for. One hour on the water is better than 4 towing hours from a marina and a ruined week. Any other "kits" you have needed?
Old 06-09-2016, 12:15 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Probably not an option for everyone, but always have all of my Diacom cables, codemate and yes a small laptop with me.

I also carry a little breathalyzer too.
Attached Images

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!

Tags
fuel pump, run out of gas, spare parts