Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-17-2015, 12:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 MasterCraft ProStar 205
Well I installed new fuel pump. Vortech 8F002-265: Fuel Pump, Electric, T-Rex 50/70. I got the pump for free from a friend of mine. It is second-hand. I installed it with an eye to going back to original. See Photos
I also installed a clear filter.
I capped off the tee on the return line.
I did find an issue. One of the fuel line factory fitting pulled apart. I use a hose clamp to repair. Maybe sucked a little air??
After the install the pump needed to be primed. The factory one self primed. Once primed the pump ran perfectly. Fuel pressure 42 PSI. I have not had it in the water. I plan to do that tomorrow. If the pump works I will redo the install and make it more permanent.
I think the single line pump will work just fine. My guess is the factory pump configuration makes priming simpler. That's it. Why pay for that. Once the pump is prime the only time you would need to re-prime would be if you drained the fuel system. Anyway I will update soon.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2015, 07:24 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
The 3003 filter may be a problem if pump does not create enough suction. If the filter empties while running there will be some hesitation issues
Old 09-19-2015, 09:24 AM
TT Regular

Yes I understand. Justed to see what the fuel is doing during the testing of the new fuel pump configuration. The pump i am using is a heavy duty pump. It came out of a supercharged mustang. Should have the suck needed. If all going well I will replace it with a tube type filter. But for $3 you can't beat it.
Testing/skiing today.
Old 09-20-2015, 02:29 PM
TT Regular

Other a full day on the boat I can report the single supply on fuel pump work perfectly. No issues with the pre-pump filter either. The pump was almost silent. With the history of this boat I could easily say the bad fuel pump could have caused the cylinder destination due to fuel starvation. If your fuel pump is making noise there is something wrong.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:09 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben205 View Post
Other a full day on the boat I can report the single supply on fuel pump work perfectly. No issues with the pre-pump filter either. The pump was almost silent. With the history of this boat I could easily say the bad fuel pump could have caused the cylinder destination due to fuel starvation. If your fuel pump is making noise there is something wrong.
so correct! the old pump parts shown here.. the OEM pump never produced enough suction to pull fuel from tank. On my FB group someone fabricated an in-tank pump using correct pump. The little plastic impeller may have added a little help for the gerotor intake.. but could never find specs on the pump accept the difference from the p60962(MPI) and - p60987(TBI) pumps.
Attached Images

Tags
fuel filter, fuel pump, lt1