Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 08:15 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2
The math is simple, implementation is not. Moderation is key, you need to burn what you intake to stay even, burn more than you intake to lose. Diet is not the long term solution, eating behavior is. Some level of exercise is important also. I have lost 15 lbs in the last 2 months just by eating less, but not dieting, everything else is the same. I still eat carbs, starches, sugars, protein, etc, just less. Small breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner and some snacks in between. I don't dink beer or wine cuz I don't like them. I do have an occasional cocktail, but not much of that either.
Tugger: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew, EcoDiesel
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...SC/Clemson.gif
Old 11-13-2018, 08:20 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Been on a journey with my wife the last 21 days .. we are using the Advocare products to do a 24 day "correction"
Less dairy, less processed flour, and certainly less sugar, no diet drinks … water … and eating in …. results are clear and feeling better.

Our body is an engine … and what fuel we put in it has a direct effect on how it runs. Under 210 and headed towards my goal of 195 (my college playing weight 30 years ago).

Good luck to everyone here just trying to make themselves a little healthier, that is such a cool thing. You inspire me.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 11-13-2018, 03:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatkinz View Post
Curious to see how everyone is doing with their weight. Current Weight 181

The diet seems to be the most important thing for my weight loss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
I will chime in. I've been curious how people are doing as well. I started 2018 at 236-ish. I got to 209 by the middle of May. It's amazing how much better the old body feels with less dead weight to pack around.
Nice job, that’s a huge improvement for both of you. My guess is you both had to get all new clothes. Yes, your body feels so much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwb View Post
I am down 28lbs in 6 weeks which is really too aggressive. I am going to adjust to get to a rate of 1-2lbs/week for the final 10. I am intermittent fasting with a eating window of 8 hrs.
Wow – at 6 weeks, I was only down 21#, you’ve had amazing turn around (but I never fasted except the initial 1st 2 days). Nice job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epnault View Post
I did it last year and it delivered results for the 11 months I was on it but dam does it get old.
It sure does [get old]. Once I reached goal, it allowed me to eat bad a little, then get right back on the diet. I don’t call what I am doing now as Keto, but it’s definitely low carb like atkins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Staying away from processed foods, flour, starchy foods.

My biggest food problems are beer, chips and pizza..

Don't diet.. chane your lifestyle of eating...IMO
Agree w the above. WRT to beer, try a light beer or a low carb beer. Corona permier works…

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDaddy View Post
The weight loss was quick during that first 3 months and then I got to a point where the loss evened off and I think I reached an ideal weight. It seemed my body knew where that was.

In the past six months, I've generally stuck with low sugar/low carb/moderate protein/high fat, but have not been nearly as strict. What I have found during this period is that if I binge for a day or two (let's say pizza, mexican/chips, etc.) with high carb meals, my weight might jump up a couple/few pounds. But then over the next few days, when I get back into my now normal eating style, those few pounds come right back off. It is VERY easy for me to maintain my weight within a tight 5 pound range.

- I have a physical in January (I'll be 50), but I've had three blood evals this year since I started.
I agree – my body did the same thing – it knew what my ideal weight was. I am also not as strict now, but I watch it daily. I also am finding that I can eat that bad stuff, come up 2-4# and then I get back to strict diet to bring it back down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
As Mike mentioned, I also believe weight loss and control is diet. Working out is not the key to sustainable weight loss-diet modification is.
No question, it is diet and control. Working out helps, but what you do in the gym will not work off those ding dongs you dipped into that glass of whole milk. Or the donuts the large marge in the cube next to you brought for the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
I’m not trying to talk you out of your beers but it would be interesting to get someone else’s experience with cutting out alcohol and how it effects their strength/endurance.
I have not noticed a difference. I have however reduced the amount of beer and replaced it with spirits, which are 0 carb. A rum + diet coke = 0 carbs vs 2.5 for a corona premier, 5 for a corona lite and 14 for a regular corona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooksfamX2 View Post
Diet is not the long term solution, eating behavior is. Some level of exercise is important also. I have lost 15 lbs in the last 2 months just by eating less, but not dieting, everything else is the same. I still eat carbs, starches, sugars, protein, etc, just less. Small breakfast, medium lunch, small dinner and some snacks in between. I don't dink beer or wine cuz I don't like them. I do have an occasional cocktail, but not much of that either.
Nice work on the 15. I actually eat MORE than I used to, it’s just not carbed up. You can make yourself a 3 egg omelet with bacon bits, onion, jalopeño, cheddar and still lose weight doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
Under 210 and headed towards my goal of 195 (my college playing weight 30 years ago).

Good luck to everyone here just trying to make themselves a little healthier, that is such a cool thing. You inspire me.
Good luck man!

===============

As far as my plan, I reached and passed my goal Jan 20 this year – 3 months, 34 lbs lost, I went from 198 to 164. I actually dipped to 159 according to my company’s biometric screening, but I do think their scale was off. My lowest recorded weight at home was 161, and I was 164.5 this morning (I’m 5’10”). I was able to ski at the level I was at 15 yrs ago, ONE BUOY shy of my all time PB of a full pass at -28’. Next week, I am running in our neighborhood’s 2nd annual turkey trot, 20# lighter than last years – my goal is to run the 5k nonstop.

PS - Diet side effect - I have to carry my heater to the deer stand in anything under 50 degrees - I can't stay warm despite having awesome gear.

Last edited by slalomjunkie; 11-14-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:36 PM
MC Devotee

Update - ran a mock 5k ahead of next weeks neighborhood turkey trot. ran 5K in 29 min without a single stop. This time last year, I could only go a mile w/o stopping.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
Interested in feedback on those who have taken a pre-workout powder/mix. I have just purchased a powder - it was half off given the local GNC moving sale. I have taken 1 scoop now twice before doing heavy cardio. I have found it to increase my energy. This is because of the large amt of caffeine in the mix - 200mg which is actually half of the serving size.

My inclination is to avoid using this due to the high caffeine - I don’t drink coffee. What do you all think?
Old 12-05-2018, 03:32 PM
MC Maniac

My 2 cents …. if you don't "need it" skip it … try a glass of water with ice 20 minutes before your workout …. staying hydtrated helps right out of the block.

I like Advocare products and they have their own "natural" products which are high quality, but I tend to avoid the extra calories …. try their "Spark " as a drink that helps with sustained energy away from coffee. I like it.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2018, 03:34 PM
MC Maniac

206 … and heading south … 1 lb per week … using Fiit4 workouts and riding my MTB when I can … see the 200 mark in the future … hopefully by 1/1/19. Peace and good luck all.
Biggest change for me … no milk (still have some yogurts, and no added sugar) no diet pop, or any kind.

Peace.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:00 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Interested in feedback on those who have taken a pre-workout powder/mix. I have just purchased a powder - it was half off given the local GNC moving sale. I have taken 1 scoop now twice before doing heavy cardio. I have found it to increase my energy. This is because of the large amt of caffeine in the mix - 200mg which is actually half of the serving size.

My inclination is to avoid using this due to the high caffeine - I don’t drink coffee. What do you all think?
What powder is it? hard to give advice w/o knowing what it is
Old 12-05-2018, 04:30 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 NXT 20
Quote:

I have tried just about every pre workout on the market. most don't do anything for me. First and foremost Do Not buy from GNC they will push you in the direction of there hot products and the price is way to high. I use 3 different sights
A1supliments.com Samedaysupliments.com and bodybuilding.com

bodybuilding.com is the best with the most information and reviews but not always the cheapest.

as far as the pre workout you might have to try a few before you find the best for you My all time favorite is mesomorph by aps it packs a good hit of energy without giving me the shakes. it also has a large amount of Bataaline (the tingles) which helps with the blood flow.
however it is not for beginners and i recommend trying 1/2 a scoop to see how you tolerate it. most of my friends can get away with just using C4 though and it is a decent product.
Old 12-05-2018, 04:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 NXT 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
My 2 cents …. if you don't "need it" skip it … try a glass of water with ice 20 minutes before your workout …. staying hydtrated helps right out of the block.

I like Advocare products and they have their own "natural" products which are high quality, but I tend to avoid the extra calories …. try their "Spark " as a drink that helps with sustained energy away from coffee. I like it.

Good luck!
I Agree with you when I first started at 275 i was looking for any and all "Magick Pills" and would spend $1000 a year at the supplement store and found most products do very little - nothing. now the only thing I use Is a thermogenic (high Caffeine) in the am instead of coffee
and a pre workout on days I lift heavy, and protein powder if I am short on protein for the day. but things like weight loss pills And BCAAs are some of the biggest scams.

just my opinion