Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 04-14-2017, 09:16 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1994 MC Prostar 205 350
Question 1996 Maristar VRS 200 vs 2000 X Star

I'm trying to decide between buying these two boats:

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/6053673354.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/6080537666.html

Yes there is a big difference in price, so my question is which boat is the better deal or more accurately priced. I would have to add a tower and speakers to the maristar, so I'm looking at it like 13k. Is the X Star a greater boat to justify 6k? The maristar has 557 original hours, not mentioned in post. I'll be using the boat to wakeboard wake surf and party, I like the roominess of both and want a nice wake. Thank you guys for your input.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeptoollica View Post
I'm trying to decide between buying these two boats:

https://austin.craigslist.org/boa/6053673354.html

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/6080537666.html

Yes there is a big difference in price, so my question is which boat is the better deal or more accurately priced. I would have to add a tower and speakers to the maristar, so I'm looking at it like 13k. Is the X Star a greater boat to justify 6k? The maristar has 557 original hours, not mentioned in post. I'll be using the boat to wakeboard wake surf and party, I like the roominess of both and want a nice wake. Thank you guys for your input.
The X-star has alot of upgrades that justify it's price. I think the X-star is priced well for all that is has. 13k for the tower if you are going to do it yourself. This is quite a tough job requiring you to drill into your boat. I would watch some youtube videos on it and make sure you want to attempt. Anyways the X-star also has perfect pass which is a must with surfing IMO. When you get decent at wakeboarding it just makes like so much easier. I would be curious to know what PP they have in there, but brand new from the company is $1000 to do it yourself (it's not a hard install). With the x-star, you have the versatile 205V hull that is a great do it all hull.

So this puts you at about a 5k which is on the aggressive side, I would probably put it closer to 4k. At this point you have to decide what's worth it to you. For me I set a price that I wasn't going over which required me to drive 7 hours to get my boat and then store it because it was the end of the season.

If you can get maintenance records, that would be ideal as that can make or break anything.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:00 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the X Star already sold for 17.5k. That was what I was leaning towards to buy and for that price I would have. I think your right I should just wait for a boat I can get sub 20k with all the bells and whistles already. It will be my first boat, so I don't want to invest more than 20K in it but I want the best of the best for the money.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
I agree with most of above. do you know if either has automated ballast system in it (plumbed in), or come with any bags? I think all in I have added about 1300.00 in ballast and system on mine and I did it just about as cheaply as anyone could... taking my time and finding deals.

Another consideration is that if you dont have a dock and like swimming around and hanging out, those Euro platforms on the 97 and older maristars are more narrow. the way they are molded in you cant sit on the sides of them and hang your feet off. Also remember when your looking at length, on that year Maristar the platform is included in overall length... for the xstar its not because the platform is removable.

But with that said, its all in what you can afford and a decision that's right for you. They both are great boats at what looks like good prices. I have a friend with a maristar 225v with that platform and he loves it. I will likely never part with my 98, its big and heavier than the xstars of those years. Handles rough water well and you can still pull a slalom with a fine free-skiing wake. Even when I get older, why would I need a pontoon? ;p

98 Maristar 225VRS - "Frankenstar"
91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1

Last edited by Gonzo; 04-14-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Quote:
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately the X Star already sold for 17.5k. That was what I was leaning towards to buy and for that price I would have. I think your right I should just wait for a boat I can get sub 20k with all the bells and whistles already. It will be my first boat, so I don't want to invest more than 20K in it but I want the best of the best for the money.
there is a for sale/craigslist thread i would subscribe to it, lots of boats out of your price range but then some pop up every now and then.... this one for instance was put up yesterday.
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/6064432004.html

98 Maristar 225VRS - "Frankenstar"
91 PS190 -Sold

RIP No1
Old 04-14-2017, 03:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
You don't have to get all the bells and whistles, but you can if you want. 17.5k was a great price for this boat. I can't believe it actually sold for that low with what all was on it. Location I guess. I got my x-star for under 15k, but it wasn't as good as shape as that one.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:32 PM
TT Newbie

I live North Texas so this boat is 5hrs away:

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/6017183482.html

Enough bells and whistles to hit the Lake for me. I lose room (engine) but I still get the 205 hull. I only found it today because I tried putting a space in MC. I already talked to him, says the new motor has 10 hrs. This has got to be well worth the price, well below my budget, and I should absolutely pursue it or no? Upholstery wise he said the seams are cracking and faded. This can't be a bad investment? No hull cracks. Thank you guys again. This is a big purchase for me and I don't want to sink because of it.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:40 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
there is a for sale/craigslist thread i would subscribe to it, lots of boats out of your price range but then some pop up every now and then.... this one for instance was put up yesterday.
https://kansascity.craigslist.org/boa/6064432004.html
Thanks Gonzo I have been looking at that thread the last couple of weeks. It's to seldom things are posted and are all over the nation. It's getting to the point where I'm investing to much time in looking for boats, when my job requires time, I really need to pick something up that's a good deal, but won't waste time searching. Time is money. I really did update that thread for a few days all day. I'm that serious and really appreciate everyone's advice.

Tags
1997 prostar, 2000 x star, 205 pro star, prostar 205, wakeboard