Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 06-05-2017, 11:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecyclone View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else's boat is like this but on my '08 when I turn the key from ON to ACC mode, the stereo always shuts off for a few seconds. It doesn't matter how quickly I turn the key, there's always be a break in the music.

One of my stereo changes for this summer was upgrading to a bluetooth receiver. In doing this, I didn't want there to be a pause in the music when switching riders, etc. Especially with bluetooth, I was worried about having to repair or resync my phone to the receiver and additional delays/breaks in the music.

I purchased a PAC TR7 relay and enabled a delayed turn-off to the ignition (red) wire that tells the stereo when to turn on/off. I set the delay to 3 seconds which is long enough to turn the key from ON to ACC without the stereo shutting off while also not being too long that it's annoying to have the stereo keep playing when turning the key to OFF. The PAC TR7 was easy to wire in with only needing to use 4 wires (Power, GND, relay in, relay out), but took a couple tries to get the programming right for the delay I wanted.

Relay - $17 from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/PAC-TR-7-Unive...ywords=pac+tr7

PAC TR-7 manual (Mode 6 is delayed turnoff):
http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductD...ons_010505.pdf

Real world results have been very satisfying, and if you have this issue like I did, I'd recommend adding the TR7 relay.
Other sellers have these and have for decades- we used them for dome light delay in car security systems or to eliminate turn-on thump in audio systems. If anyone decides that they want to build one instead of waiting to have it shipped, this is also frequently called a '555 timer circuit', because the chip part number is LM555xx, from Texas Instruments.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/tl...as-instruments

555 timer circuits-

http://www.555-timer-circuits.com/
Old 06-11-2017, 10:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 x-10 mcx
Did this yesterday on my 2004 x-10 and works like a champ. Thanks for the instructions - only took me a couple of tries to get it dialed in versus way more without them.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
just finished doing this over the weekend.
works great for going from engine running to off back to acc or ign on, engine off.
but i still get a cutout when i crank... i guess i need a new source for the "batt" power to the TR7

really appreciate your step by step instructions as well, much more clear than the ones that came with the relay!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ProStar205 View Post
Did this yesterday on my 2004 x-10 and works like a champ. Thanks for the instructions - only took me a couple of tries to get it dialed in versus way more without them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post
works great for going from engine running to off back to acc or ign on, engine off.
but i still get a cutout when i crank... i guess i need a new source for the "batt" power to the TR7

really appreciate your step by step instructions as well, much more clear than the ones that came with the relay!
+3 thanks on the instructions. done deal

Old 07-16-2017, 11:30 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket View Post

If the pulse stretcher was fed by the ignition lead, it may reset while cranking because the voltage can drop to about 10VDC, which may be outside of its usable range. If the supply for it is the battery wire, you may want to contact PAC (or whoever) about this application and the radio shutting off. The first step should be to connect the red and yellow to the battery and crank it- if it stays on, you may need to add a stiffening cap to the feed so it will maintain the proper voltage.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 X-Star
For those with a single battery, have you configured your relay to work properly so that when you crank the engine, the power supply to the stereo unit (with integrated BT) is not lost? (was - BT connection stays connected?) I see several comments stating this as a problem, but has anyone come up with a solution? I was hoping this relay would negate the need for installing a 2nd battery in my boat. I have my relay set up with a single battery and experience the same thing.

Last edited by LkWash; 05-19-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
@LKWash,

is the blue tooth the only thing powering down? If so, you need to revisit its wiring. If the entire head unit and system powers down during cranking, then you need to solve that and the BT will be resolved with it. However, the head unit is likely powering off due to the voltage drop caused by the starter.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2000 X-Star
MLA, thanks for asking the clarifying question. The headunit loses power, not just BT. I edited my prior post to clarify that.

You hit the nail on the head though, based on the discussion here, is there a way to prevent the voltage drop to the headunit when cranking the engine from a single battery system? I am assuming the solution requires additional hardware from the PAC TR7 unit. Has anyone played with a capacitor based solution or a smaller 12v second battery (i.e., a battery with < 10 Ah)?

Last edited by LkWash; 05-19-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
I experimented with CAPs earlier this winter looking to resolve this very complaint. Got too busy before finding the right value needed, without going over board.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2007, MCX
I finally got around to wiring mine up today. I can't wait to try it out this weekend. Thanks for the detailed write up.