Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-02-2018, 09:39 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, MCX 350
Tower Speakers

I am looking at putting a pair of tower speakers on my 2004 X2, but I don't really want to spend $1000 on a pair. So I was wondering if there was a good pair of speakers that was more in the $4-600 range or is it just worth waiting and spending the money for a really good pair?
I have seen lots online for prices that I like, but I have no clue about them, some are MB Quart, I see lots of Plye (which i dont believe are great), Boss, Rockville...I don't want something that will sound like garbage as my stereo in the boat is a clarion and sounds quite decent.
Just looking for help and suggestions,
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2018, 09:53 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
What are your goals? Long range for wakeboarding? Surfing?

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 08-02-2018, 10:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 XT23 just traded the 2004 XSTAR, first was a prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGraham View Post
I am looking at putting a pair of tower speakers on my 2004 X2, but I don't really want to spend $1000 on a pair. So I was wondering if there was a good pair of speakers that was more in the $4-600 range or is it just worth waiting and spending the money for a really good pair?
I have seen lots online for prices that I like, but I have no clue about them, some are MB Quart, I see lots of Plye (which i dont believe are great), Boss, Rockville...I don't want something that will sound like garbage as my stereo in the boat is a clarion and sounds quite decent.
Just looking for help and suggestions,
Thanks!
Kind of in the same boat so to speak here. I want to add a pair of cans, but don't need to set the seismographs off to be happy.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Agree, this is key. There are not many set ups that have the volume and range for a wakeboarder to hear...but if it's not your goal, then you have many options to choose. Wetsounds Rev 8's or 10's will do the trick if you want wakeboarder range.... with ample power to drive them
Old 08-04-2018, 10:37 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X2, 2004, MCX 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post

I would like to be able to hear while wakeboarding, but think in order to do that I would need to spend to much so I am ok as long as I can hear while surfing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2018, 11:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
An HLCD is going to be what you want for wake range. The best setup in that price range, is going to be the Kicker KMS674 and a set of pods. If your tower has a fairly straight cross bar, id go with the KMTED double pods. These will get you closer to your budget. You are going to want at least 200W rms to each side.

For non-wake range, Id suggest at least a single pair of 8" coaxil. You can load the Kicker KM8 in some pods and be at your budget. Id still want about 200W rms for them as well.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1999 205v
Iíve literally been having this exact same debate for two months now. I currently have a giant custom fiberglass enclosure with four 6 x 9ís. I want to replace with some new pods. My four in boats are being powered by the head unit. I have a JL m400.4. One side is powering a JL 10Ē IB and the other two channels are running the tower.

90% of my boating now is letting kids swim off the swim platform or surfing. Even if Iím wake boarding I donít like to hear the music because I know it is nothing but a nuisance to everyone around me. Iíd love to just do the WS icon 8s but donít want to get up in the $800 range. Would really feel better about it if I could stay under $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
An HLCD is going to be what you want for wake range. The best setup in that price range, is going to be the Kicker KMS674 and a set of pods. If your tower has a fairly straight cross bar, id go with the KMTED double pods. These will get you closer to your budget. You are going to want at least 200W rms to each side.

For non-wake range, Id suggest at least a single pair of 8" coaxil. You can load the Kicker KM8 in some pods and be at your budget. Id still want about 200W rms for them as well.
This. I have a pair of the Kicker HLCDs and they are loud and clear at 75í back at 23mph over wind/engine noise. I have mine powered by a wetsounds HT-4. When we surf I just turn them to half volume or lower. They are too loud at surf distance. I also recommend the Kicker dual volume control (ZXMRLC) so you can control volume independently of the cabin speakers.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Do yourself a favor and spend the money on REV 10's. You will never imagine owning a boat without them again.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:46 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 X-Star
On my last boat - straight piped '84 2001 - I had a pair of Polk DB651's in cans on the tower. I ran a 400w two channel amp and you could hear them clearly at 65'. I've now got a set of 8" kickers, which are good, but not as good as the Polks IMO. As far as volume control is concerned, I always wire the amp to a switch on the dash, rather than to the 12v signal from the head unit, in the x-Star I have the tower and bow speakers amped and the cockpit speakers driven off the head unit. It just gives a really quick easy way of killing the volume without turning off and without having to reset the volume when you set off again. Useful to allow you to talk to fallen rider, offer encouragement or mock them!