Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-05-2018, 11:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X23, 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieb View Post
Is that an option? If disabled does it use a fuel level sensor.

Yes, I believe so.. fuel management is not automatically enabled after a sw update.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '02 Prostar 209 w/'06 MC Tower, 5.7 Indmar
I have 2018 NXT with 4 S70 tower speakers and the Advanced Audio. I know the new 2019s will allow for the zone adjustments. Has anyone heard if it's a sowtware update?...I heard I have to get a whole new head unit. Hoping Klipsch will respond....and the head unit is $789!
Old 09-28-2018, 04:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 50th Anniversary Xstar, 1995 Prostar 190
Dealer just performed the latest TSB's to my system. New misc. wiring harness stuff, Sub polarity check, new DSP software, etc.
Observations:
Now it seems like once a day the touchscreen freezes up and I have to re-boot the system.
Tower speakers are louder when surfing
Subs preform completely different. If I had to put my thumb on it, I'd say Sub gain is definitely been turned down from the new software. Used to listen to sub zone on 32 setting. anything more than that and it would distort. Now I listen to it at 37-38 before it starts to distort. Subs move a lot less than they did before, although bass seems about the same (which is still pretty poor). I don't expect an infinite baffle set up to sound very good for a boat, but considering the price tag of the Klipsch system, one would think they would put the sub in an enclosure. Especially the one behind the driver's seat. One look at it, and it's a no brainer to have that sub in an enclosure.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
one would think they would put the sub in an enclosure.
They advertise it an designed for infinate-baffle, so the locker cavity IS its enclosure. If its a true IB woofer, it would likely not sound good in a small enclosure. They tend to become 1-note-wonders.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:34 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 50th Anniversary Xstar, 1995 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
They advertise it an designed for infinate-baffle, so the locker cavity IS its enclosure. If its a true IB woofer, it would likely not sound good in a small enclosure. They tend to become 1-note-wonders.
You are correct... sort of. "fee-air" is probably the most correct definition of the Klipsch sub. If you want to get into the scientific definition of infinite baffle yes you are correct, but in this case we are talking about vehicle audio. And in vehicle audio, Infinite baffle is typically referred to exactly what you said ( a cavity is the box). In car audio it's a trunk that's typically is the box, in this case, the boat the storage locker cavity.
But in order to get any decent sound or low-end extension out of a true IB system design, the trunk or storage locker has to be completely sealed (way harder to do than building a .75 cubic inch box). Obviously airtight sealing a storage cavity is not easily possible from the MC factory with the storage locker, so the next best thing would be a true box.
The speaker under the dash of the driver in the new Centurions have a cheesy plastic box-like cover. Take off that cover and "ok" bass output turns to dog sh*t.
I'm not saying that MC should be building me a thousand dollar forth order sub box, but is it too much to ask a company that builds things out of fiberglass for a living to build into their boats three extra fiberglass walls for a decent sub box? Or even a cheesy plastic box like the pic below??

Last edited by swoardrider; 09-28-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
But in order to get any decent sound or low-end extension out of a true IB system design, the trunk or storage locker has to be completely sealed
No, just needs to offer 100% front to rear isolation.

Quote:
is it too much to ask a company that builds things out of fiberglass for a living to build into their boats three extra fiberglass walls for a decent sub box?
Yes, if the audio vendor supplied a woofer with T/S parameters that make it more ideal for large air space, I.E. infinite-baffle.

Now, if the audio vendor supplied a jack of all trades woofer and running it IB, then yes, I bet it will perform better with a small enclosure.