Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-23-2011, 10:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision View Post
Anyone know the GPM rate for the impeller/pump at idle and 5500 rpm for Indmar or Ilmor engines?
That would b an interesting number. Could put a lot of speculation to rest.

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
For those of us in the OCDMC club, this is very interesting. this would be easy enough to wire and set with an indicator light and a warning alarm. This is the link to the spec sheet of the unit I was looking at. 10231 Cooling Water Flow Detector 2-in FPT

http://aqualarm.net/datasheets/one_a...w_detector.pdf
seems like the one I listed has a better flow rate up to 28 GPM...I wonder if these things are really worth it.

I would love to install as one more safety measure....I am a proud card carrying OCDMC'r.

170 days to research and decide.....
Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
seems like the one I listed has a better flow rate up to 28 GPM...I wonder if these things are really worth it.

I would love to install as one more safety measure....I am a proud card carrying OCDMC'r.

170 days to research and decide.....
Which one were you looking at? Your link goes to an entire page.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Does not seem to be popular here on TT, but I installed the Perko Flush Pro, now 4th season and it works great. Ran the engine for 20 minutes for her oil change at 1500 RPM's and the water temp using the house water supply, never went much above 160 degrees! Pulled the Impeller with 60 hours on it and it looks brand new.

I understand the bucket problem and the system pulling more water than the hose can provide, however this proves that it is getting enough water to keep the engine at proper operating temp. I also don't like the Fake-A-Lake attached to the scupper, these leak pretty bad.

Lovin the Perko - Cheers...
Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post
Does not seem to be popular here on TT, but I installed the Perko Flush Pro, now 4th season and it works great. Ran the engine for 20 minutes for her oil change at 1500 RPM's and the water temp using the house water supply, never went much above 160 degrees! Pulled the Impeller with 60 hours on it and it looks brand new.

I understand the bucket problem and the system pulling more water than the hose can provide, however this proves that it is getting enough water to keep the engine at proper operating temp. I also don't like the Fake-A-Lake attached to the scupper, these leak pretty bad.

Do you put anti freeze in your boat? If so, how do you get it in there with the Perko?

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!

Last edited by CantRepeat; 04-04-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:42 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC Prostar 205, 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsCraft View Post

+1 here. Been using the Flush Pro to flush and winterize my 205 for 14 years and have never had a problem as a result. My assumption is that if the hose can't keep up, it's not running "dry" - it's still running with as much water as the hose will supply. It seems to be enough to keep the impeller lubricated and to provide sufficient cooling at lower rpm's.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Do put anti freeze in your boat? If so, how do you get it in there with the Perko?
Same water connection, there is a little black plug that presses in on the spring to allow the antifreeze to flow. I have a 5 gallon winterizing jug I purchased for my I/O, works great, has a water shut off valve and clear hose. Here is one from overtons, this is a little nicer than the one I have, mine is all plastic fittings. I use this to put antifreeze into the ballast tanks too.

FYI - I purchase -200 green mixed 1 to 1 with warm water. 6 gallons total. -68 burst and -28 freeze protection mixed. 3 gallons for ballast, 2 gallons mixed in each tank. 2.5 gallons for engine, 5 gallon mix and 1/2 gallon for heater.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...n&merchID=4005
Old 10-24-2011, 09:06 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
don't forget the thermostat...my OCD on MC got the best of me...soooo I decided to pull and will change the thermostat...I think the left is the original from 1995...I am second owner of the PS 205 second season...I think the left one should be retired...its for sale if anyone wants it...
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
don't forget the thermostat...my OCD on MC got the best of me...soooo I decided to pull and will change the thermostat...I think the left is the original from 1995...I am second owner of the PS 205 second season...I think the left one should be retired...its for sale if anyone wants it...
As a test of your level of OCD, did you performance test the new stat in a pot of water prior to installation?

Somehow I skipped that step when I replaced the stat on my boat and the darn thing hardly opened at all!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
As a test of your level of OCD, did you performance test the new stat in a pot of water prior to installation?

Somehow I skipped that step when I replaced the stat on my boat and the darn thing hardly opened at all!
Wow Peter, I've never done that. Do you need one of those high temp candy thermometers for that test?

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!