Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 01:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 X20
Garage Floors

Over in the "Garage Build! thread that P-hat_in_Cincy started, Thrall brought up putting down epoxy on the garage floor (see below). We previously used the stuff from the big box store and even tho we followed the instructions, laid it down on a new floor after etching and fully drying etc, in 3 years it still flaked up where the car tires would sit. What has everyone else used - and how did it last a few years later??

"Now before you get it too loaded with "stuff" spend the extra few hundred bucks and epoxy the floor. It's a super easy DIY job, especially on a new floor.
Unless there's any oil spots to clean up, it's a quick acid wash, let dry completely.
Slap down 2 coats with an 18" paint roller.
Enjoy your "new" floor.

I've only used Sherwin Williams Macro poxy and can vouch for it's durability. I'm sure there are other brands just as good, but I wouldn't trust the hardware store stuff."
Old 11-16-2018, 07:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Results vary even with "professional" installations. As with most coating installations, surface preparation is key as well as the quality of the products and the installation technique. We bought our current house as a new spec home close to 19 years ago and did the floor about 6 months after it was poured which was about a month after moving in. We did the grinding then acid wash followed by a chemical neutralizer then applied what was then a commercial only 100% pure solids epoxy product that was being used in hangers and factories. At the time the only way you could get that product was through a commercial re-seller. The product was difficult to work with and reminded me of, you guessed it, epoxy glue with a thinner consistency. Anything it got on was was trash. In the end the floor turned out great and I just had the floor refinished this year after 18 years of fairly hard use. At the time of replacement 95% of the floor was still in good shape but the edges of the concrete slab by the expansion joins were peeling as was the entrances to the garage.

My neighbor saw my floor and used a product from Home Depot about the same time. in three years his floor was peeling up, mostly under the tires locations and at the entrance. Now the floor covering is pretty much gone everywhere except the edges. Lesson learned here was you get what you pay for when it comes to garage flooring.

So this summer I decided to get floor redone. I started looking at options and what was going to be required to redo the floor. I decided to just pay someone this time around as preping all the old floor just looked too labor intensive. I did a bunch of research, contacted 4 contractors (of which only 2 came out to quote the job) and ended up going with these guys....

https://www.premiergarage.com/motorc...RoC7kQQAvD_BwE

I'm told the product isn't epoxy but a hybrid polymer. There were no strong fumes and I was able to move everything back in the garage after 24 hours. It's supposed to last 15 years so hopefully it will be the last floor I put in the garage. The only hitch in the installation came with the removal of the old floor. It took them 2.5 days of grinding with various machines to get up the old floor. They said it was one of the worst floors they had seen to remove and were expecting a DIY installation. They were also very surprised to learn that we had installed it ourselves.

Not sure what the latest DYI products are like or how long they'll last but every one of the contractors I talked to basically said that a very high percentage of their jobs include removing a DYI job that had failed after only a couple years. I'm sure the new products have come a long way since I first looked into it buy it may be worth looking into a professional installation before doing it yourself. When I first started looking into the costs to rent the machine to remove the existing flooring, the cost of the tools, materials and the time it would take to do the floor CORRECTLY, I quickly came to the conclusion that I would prefer to contract it out.

Last edited by bturner2; 11-16-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 XStar that's trying to be a 40th.
I used the rustoleum epoxyshield, and it has held up way beyond my expectations. I put it down in 2011, and haven’t had any flake off. I should note that I run studded tires in the winter as well, although I have made sure to not turn my wheels on the garage floor. Straight in, straight out. I am honestly baffled how it is possible that the epoxy floor still looks new.

That said, I do know that many people have issues with moisture coming up through the slab and causing it to flake off.

If your slab doesn’t have a moisture barrier under it (Plastic plus blue board, etc), and/or it isn’t poured on top of a good bed of stone with proper drainage......... it is going to flake off, no matter which brand you use.

Prep is also super important. If there is any oil or paint embedded and you don’t get it out, you’ll have issues.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 X30, 6.2L
As others have said, it's tough to get epoxy / paint to not come up where tires sit. Lots of prep req'd, nearly all get slick when they are wet, etc.

I went a different route with a Race Deck floor 15 years ago. We went with 18"x18" tiles and have been pretty pleased overall. it's easy to install with no prep required.

I would not recommend the Race Deck floor if you weld things in the garage.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 Mastercraft X-Star 50th Anniversary
I’m Putting down Swisstrax flooring this weekend. I bought a house that had epoxy put down 15 years ago that doesn’t look that great
Old 11-16-2018, 09:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 X-30, 1983 Stars and Stripes, 1991 Jump Boat
Swisstrax or polished floors are the only 2 options. No coating works. None.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:32 AM

Boat: XT22
I have a friend that is crazy about his garage floor. He looked into everything, and even the manufacturers told him that every coating will flake off eventually, or be prone to damage with impacts, etc. So he went with porcelain tile. He did that in his first house 20+ years ago and was looking for a better solution, but apparently there is none. And while his garage is a show-piece, he does a lot of work in there too. He has 1-2 lifts and works on about a dozen vehicles that he owns. ymmv.

I went with the racedeck in mine.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
I sure would love to coat my garage floor or tile it, but with almost 1200 sf, no matter how you look at it, its costly or very labor intensive. Maybe i'll start a GoFundMe
Old 11-16-2018, 11:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
I second the tile, at 1200sqft I’d have to do it in sections. Just make sure the tile isn’t slippery. Head over to Garage Journal and there is a section for garage floors.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:48 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 X30, 6.2L
Here's the thread from my garage project...tons of helpful folks on the garage journal site.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/...ead.php?t=7471