Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 08-21-2018, 10:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004 maristar 210
We had a guy at work chasing the Chevy shake also. They tried all kinds of stuff and balanced his tires multiple times. He took me out to look at his tires because the dealer mentioned his tires were low on thread. I noticed right away 3 of the tries had small bumps in the sidewall.

So after multiple trips to the dealer who couldn't find a problem even while road force balancing tires, he put new tires on and the shake went away. The problem is tires are a wear item and not covered under warranty.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/docs-...-sidewall-mean

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...&affiliate=FH3
Old 08-21-2018, 12:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
these steel frames are like tuning forks that is why it happens... IMO.. the pico is the only diagnostic tool that works.. it tells them exactly what is causing the vibration due to the frequency...

if your dealer doesn't have one then you may be out of luck they are expensive.. you should ask them if they have one.. the 100k warranty probably won't cover the shake... hope it does but don't count on it.. allot of dealers just say oh that's "normal"
Old 08-21-2018, 12:23 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post

The more I read on here the more and more anxiety I get about replacing my Suburban with a newer one this fall/winter. Shaking, cracked dashes, AFM and bad lifters/valves/etc.,..... And the only alternative to a Suburban is an Expedition XL which is hardly a truck.....(sigh).
it is interesting yet you see burbs and yukon xls out there with 150k miles.. but IMO I think it is if you use it like they are meant to be used you end up with valve issues.. I would stay away from a 15 or a 16 lots of problems with those years... ... some aren't as sensitive to problems either.... or just don't care...
Old 08-21-2018, 12:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 19Skier
My '17 is at the dealership today for the 4th time since May to chase down the shake. Never felt anything in the truck until I put my 22's back on after running snowtires. The shake at that point would spill a glass of half full water at 120 km/h.

It's been reduced by putting 2 new tires on and road force balancing (twice!) but the pico still showed a vibration last time it was in. I had a '14 that had zero issues, guess I should have kept that one!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
it is interesting yet you see burbs and yukon xls out there with 150k miles.. but IMO I think it is if you use it like they are meant to be used you end up with valve issues.. I would stay away from a 15 or a 16 lots of problems with those years... ... some aren't as sensitive to problems either.... or just don't care...
The burban/tahoe/avalanche have a different body mount system than the trucks do and I have a feeling that helps with the vibration control. They are designed to allow for more flex, where as the trucks have space between the bed and cab for that. They are also have coil springs on all four corners which changes the way they ride as well. From what I have heard 14 was a bad year, friend has a 15 Sierra z71 5.3 and has not had a single issue.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:53 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
150K is no great accomplishment. My 2000 has 179K and runs good, it is the all the stuff around that era 5.3L that has me concerned and I don't trust it to take it more than a couple hours away. I know there are others that have burbs' and tahoes with more miles on them, but all the engine problems and dash issues with the new trucks has me concerned.

My company vehicle: 2008 Toyota Highlander, 309K miles. All original and I wouldn't blink an eye to drive it to Florida tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 mastercraft maristar 200
I took my factory 22's off and put factory 17's on and problem stopped immediately. It may cause the same fix as aric's because the truck sits a little lower and changed the angle of the axle slightly.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Mastercraft Slot
Changing tire or rim size won't change drive shaft angle.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:05 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain planet View Post
150K is no great accomplishment. My 2000 has 179K and runs good, it is the all the stuff around that era 5.3L that has me concerned and I don't trust it to take it more than a couple hours away. I know there are others that have burbs' and tahoes with more miles on them, but all the engine problems and dash issues with the new trucks has me concerned.

My company vehicle: 2008 Toyota Highlander, 309K miles. All original and I wouldn't blink an eye to drive it to Florida tomorrow.
I wish Toyota would make a suburban size with a big motor I would buy it probably cost more than my house but the last one I would have to buy....
Old 08-21-2018, 05:06 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by occva View Post
Changing tire or rim size won't change drive shaft angle.
Correct...a load will though...