Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 12:48 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krw1225 View Post
Posted a thread in the audio section, but figured Id ask here as well, what have you all used when upgrading the amps for the stereo system in your x-14s?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=99621
I am totally happy with the JL Audio amps.

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
"Do you have Flake on that boat?"
Old 11-14-2018, 03:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14, 40th Anniversary Edition, MCX w/ Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Prostar190 View Post
I am totally happy with the JL Audio amps.
Agreed, but my original JL Audio amps have switches that are starting to go bad (ie. the speakers cut in and out, and my brother-in law verified its not the speaker). So are you saying you would just get new JL Audio amps, if so which ones? Or were you thinking to just leave them stock, not realizing mine are going out?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:30 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None, yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I could swear that on my Boatmate trailer, the trailer didn't extend more than an inch or two past the bow when folded. Maybe that would be an option?
Just a follow up on length of trailers. I may be wrong, but it appears that MC made a change to the trailer around 2011 or 2012. The old design which appears to be the design that is about 22 feet has a forward keel support to help identify it. The new design has longer inner bunks that go much further forward and replace the need for the forward keel support. From my eye, it appears that this design is several inches shorter, maybe up to 5 inches or so. I attached photos showing the different MC Designs and a Boatmate just for comparison. I'm hoping that MC did reduce the overall length with the newer design. I hope this helps someone else as well.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2018, 05:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
Don't know if that is a realistic comparison. Seems you are pitting 14 dd against 14 vd. Different engine placements add another variable to the mix. Need more input.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:00 PM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krw1225 View Post
Agreed, but my original JL Audio amps have switches that are starting to go bad (ie. the speakers cut in and out, and my brother-in law verified its not the speaker). So are you saying you would just get new JL Audio amps, if so which ones? Or were you thinking to just leave them stock, not realizing mine are going out?
I'd triple check to see if that is the problem. Something as simple as a loose wire, or loose ground, to the amp will make the speakers cut in and out. You could change out the amps, and unknowingly "solve" the loose wire problem, and think the amp was the culprit. Why don't you remove the amps, and bench test them in as simple a way as connecting a pair of cheap speakers to them? I had a similar problem in my 197 back in '07. I really doubt that the switches in the amp are on the fritz. And I'd hate to see you throw money away if they aren't.