Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 10-19-2017, 04:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft 1978 351 Windsor
Same/close size for stern light base

Does anyone know where I can buy a base about the same size or larger for the stern light on my 78 Mastercraft. I have only been able to find a shorter base by at least an inch, making it necessary to fill existing holes. The base I have now is the original cast pot metal about 4 1/2 inches long and about 1 1/2 inch wide.

I also wanted to say thanks again for the help I received on rewiring my ammeter/voltmeter conversion. I would not have been able to get thru it without the two nice people that assisted me. It all worked out great. Your suggestions took a little while to sink in and when they did, it all made sense.

Thanks,
herscman
Old 10-19-2017, 04:33 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by herscman View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy a base about the same size or larger for the stern light on my 78 Mastercraft. I have only been able to find a shorter base by at least an inch, making it necessary to fill existing holes. The base I have now is the original cast pot metal about 4 1/2 inches long and about 1 1/2 inch wide.

I also wanted to say thanks again for the help I received on rewiring my ammeter/voltmeter conversion. I would not have been able to get thru it without the two nice people that assisted me. It all worked out great. Your suggestions took a little while to sink in and when they did, it all made sense.

Thanks,
herscman
To my searching and knowledge, they are very hard to find. I recently tried to replace one for an 81. I ordered four different times with the dimensional and photo-graphical representation assuring me that each would be a direct swap. No luck.

I needed the new insert where the wand plugs into, more so than the new base.

I ended up drilling the screw heads off the clips or holders of the (new) electrical insert and then swapped the new insert into the old base.

Wish I could help more but hopefully this may help you with the process of elimination or replacement. Unfortunately the new base screw holes just do not align with the old ones.

The screw holding the rotating cover is on there to stay. I tried everything non-destructive and ended up destructively drilling the screw head off. Save your time and frustration...

Attached Images

John 3:16-18
Old 10-19-2017, 04:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft 1978 351 Windsor
Stern light base mod

Thanks again for your advice. I can handle this, I think. I noticed that the inside surface of your old base is smooth. Mine is notched all the way to the bottom. My drill press will take care of that though.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:05 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by herscman View Post
Thanks again for your advice. I can handle this, I think. I noticed that the inside surface of your old base is smooth. Mine is notched all the way to the bottom. My drill press will take care of that though.
The picture is a little misleading. Both bases are notched the length of the (each) insert (see the above inserts with the raised ridges). The new insert will fit with a little tweaking. I was pleased with the way it turned out.

Attached Images

John 3:16-18