Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 09-06-2017, 12:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-30, 2003, predator 5.7
Check Engine buzzer won't quit

First time poster, long time reader/user/. I have the medallion MDC gauge monster living behind my dash. I have ordered the new Faria gauges to repair this but I am still battling a wire nightmare somewhere and I could use some guidance on. I have plugged into the ECM by way of the jumper clip and in my boat the check engine light will blink and I can read the engine codes that way. I have repaired some issues on the boat, impeller, manifold replacement, thermostat, and was able to clear the codes using the full throttle method. Now I only get the CODE 12 which indicates no codes and the boat runs great but here is the issue;

When I turn the key to the on position the annoying buzzer sounds letting you know the key is on, I turn the motor on and there is no check engine light but yet the buzzer will not quit, EVER! I can turn the ignition off and the buzzer will stop. The odd part of this scenario to me is when I turn the key to the left (counter clockwise) the radio and gauges are able to come on but not the ECM but the same buzzer starts right back up and will not stop.

1. Why is the buzzer sounding and not stopping while the engine is running without any issues?
2. Why is the buzzer sounding when the radio is turned on?

I have 2003 X30 with predator motor. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Osullivan; 09-09-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:33 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1991 Prostar, 2003 Maristar 210
This sounds like a ground issue. If something in the harness has a bad ground the current will try to find the easiest way to ground, which may be through the buzzer. These systems are notorious for ground issues, and even the slightest corrsion on a fuse of connector can cause wacky issues. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 190 Sammy Duvall & 230VRS
I had the wire break to the drain plug and the sounder wouldnt quit. Maybe check that? (It alarms if you dont put the drain plug in and start the boat)

Last edited by agua4fun; 09-23-2017 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 mastercraft CSX, mcx350.
Check Engine buzzer won't quit

Our 07 CSX 350 MCX would get that, if there was a low voltage somewhere, like a low battery, and I couldn’t figure how to shut it off. Eventually found out that the toggle switch to the clock would turn it off. They would reset it at the dealer and said don’t worry about it. It’s more of an nuisance alarm.

Edit; not sure if that’s what yours is doing.

Last edited by waterbuffalo; 09-22-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:58 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X-30, 2003, predator 5.7
I may regret asking this, but what drain plug are you talking about that has a wire to it? My stern plug doesn't have a wire nor does the middle t handle plug. Are you talking about a drain plug on the engine?
Old 10-04-2017, 09:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

My 01 190 has a wire going to the hull portion of the t handle drain plug (i only have 1 drain plug and its under the engine). The threaded portion of the plug is split, and the plug completes the circuit between the two halves. Maybe yours doesnt have it, but similar vintage and i had the same problem till i found that. Worth a shot? Just wanted to mention because it drove me nuts till i found it.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:07 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
Confusing the speedo unit for a drain plug? Drain plug will not have any wires to it.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Nope, My drain definitely has wires going to it. Ill get a picture this weekend.
It must be unusual? Pretty sure i'm not the only one who has them, while looking for a picture, i ran across this thread a number of years ago. He had wires, although unfortunately he never posted his outcome.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=24573
Old 10-06-2017, 02:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, X30, 2003, MCX 350
Buzzer post

That buzzer in our vintage of boats is a real PITA. Here's 1 post about it. I was having intermittent issues with it, so not what you're seeing.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Just so everyone doesnt think im nuts....
Wires to the drain plug!
Apparently not typical?
Sorry about the dirty bilge....
Attached Images

Tags
engine alarm, engine buzzer, gauge, ignition beeping