Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-25-2014, 04:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 197, 2003, 5.7L Indmar 310HP
Help Needed - Water in Bilge

Boat is a prostar 197 and I am loosing the battle with the bilge at the moment. I'm confident that the prop shaft seal is good and I recently re-greased the rudder port, so I think I'm good there too. Boat stays dry until we get going and then the leak starts. I would think that the cooling system would show signs of a leak under idle but maybe there isn't enough pressure built up at that RPM? It is also not from people getting into the boat.

I'm getting a couple of inches of water, so nothing ridiculous but it is driving me crazy. Any insights/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
I would check for cooling leaks at cruising speed. I took off my transmission cooler hose to check for debris one time. I put the hose back on, but I forgot to tighten the clamp. It didn't leak at all until we were above about 2000 rpm.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 SANTE 220
I've heard of some 190/197 folks getting water in through the transom vents when coming off plane and the wake catches up with the boat. Keep an eye on it next time you're out. They do sit quite low.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Main exhaust hoses. Exhaust flanges. Area around main T plug (fitting). Tracking Fins. Raw water intake.

Pretty much anywhere there is access from the water.

I'm getting some bilge water this year. Keeping an eye on it. Pretty sure its tracking fin seal.

Off season project is going to remove all three tracking fins and 4200 all of them fresh.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
When you say "a couple of inches", is that after a day out on the lake, after an hour, after 10 minutes? Knowing that would really help characterize possible responses.

Get a friend to watch the engine with the doghouse up while you run the boat at speed (calm water, of course). If there is significant water leakage from the engine, you should be able to tell. Look at the raw water pump, the circulating water pump, hoses, thermostat housing, or around the freeze plugs.

Look at the shaft packing, if possible. Dripping once a second could easily build up to a couple on inches an hour. Every 6-10 seconds is probably a good rate when underway.

Look at where the shaft log is attached to the hull. A couple of people have had that joint fail and leak water.

Look at the exhaust thru-hulls. They can come loose, and leak water into the hull. Those would normally leak when not underway, however.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:50 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 197, 2003, 5.7L Indmar 310HP
Thanks for the responses guys. Couple of inches is for the day. I'll investigate some of these suggestions this weekend.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X-15
If you can take the engine hatch off, and if sections of the floor come out you can run it with a friend back there looking for water leaks. Could be crack in the muffler or leak around muffler hoses. You'll find it.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:52 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Dave, do you have a 911 RSR??? Lol. Sorry for the distraction OP

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018

Details released 12/17!!!!

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
1985 S&S
Old 08-26-2014, 07:53 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison423 View Post
Boat is a prostar 197 and I am loosing the battle with the bilge at the moment. I'm confident that the prop shaft seal is good and I recently re-greased the rudder port, so I think I'm good there too. Boat stays dry until we get going and then the leak starts. I would think that the cooling system would show signs of a leak under idle but maybe there isn't enough pressure built up at that RPM? It is also not from people getting into the boat.

I'm getting a couple of inches of water, so nothing ridiculous but it is driving me crazy. Any insights/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Does your speedometer use paddle wheel, or pitot? If it has pitot, open the rear storage and look at the ballast tube(s)- does it have white mineral deposits and/or water on it? If the ballast isn't cleared of water over the Winter, it can freeze during a cold snap and that can cause the brass tube to burst. You can pressurize the tube and turn the key to ON- if the pressure drops easily, it's leaking. The speedo should stay at one speed if the line or ballast is leaking. Make sure it's not leaking at the MDC box- wet carpet under the dash would be a good clue for this.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2013 X10
A quick easy way to eliminate quite a few sources for the leak is to run it until you have standing water and check the temp of the water in the bilge. If it's hot you're obviously dealing with water that's circulated through the cooling system. Mine had one of the hoses feeding the exhaust that worked loose. There was no leak when checking it at idle but when you powered up it would pump quite a bit of water into the bilge.