Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 02-18-2016, 10:41 AM
TT Regular

Boat: mastercraft pro star 190 corvette LT1 1997
new audio

currently have 4 JL mx 650's in the pro star right now with a kenwood head unit but am looking to get a sub and amp but not sure where to go from here I really like my music and I want it to sound good so im willing to pay a little more for better quality. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
In no particular order, these all make quality 5 and 6 chnl hybrid amps that will drive your 4 in-boats and a sub and a variety of wattage: JL, Wet Sounds, Kicker, Arc Audio. I would probably make the woofer decision, then choose the amp from there. You can have anywhere from 200W to 600W rms for a sub out fo those brands. Thats plenty for a solid system. If you want a more prominant bass setup, them you would be looking at dedicated in-boats and sub amps.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
In no particular order, these all make quality 5 and 6 chnl hybrid amps that will drive your 4 in-boats and a sub and a variety of wattage: JL, Wet Sounds, Kicker, Arc Audio. I would probably make the woofer decision, then choose the amp from there. You can have anywhere from 200W to 600W rms for a sub out fo those brands. Thats plenty for a solid system. If you want a more prominant bass setup, them you would be looking at dedicated in-boats and sub amps.
so im new to this whole audio thing and would rather ask questions before I buy something that doesn't work... so I basically need a channel for each pair of speakers or is it a channel for each speaker individually and a channel for the sub?
Old 02-18-2016, 12:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
Most any 5 chnl amp is going to allow you to run your full range speakers on the 4 chnls and then drive the woofer in a dedicated sub-woofer 5th chnl. Wired properly, you can power an infinite number of speaker per chnl, in theory, but the wattage would eventually be divided to a point where theres no power to drive the speaker.

Most 6 chnls amps can run full range speakers on 4 of the chnls, like the 5 chnls, but also run full range speakers or the right woofer on the remaining 2 chnls.

With 2-3 pair of in-boats and a woofer, a 5 or 6 chnl from any of those brands listed above, would be a viable option. You would wire each in-boat to its own chnls, then the woofer would either be wired to the remaing 5th sub chnl on a 5 chnl or bridged across chnls 5/6 of a 6 chnl. They are an all in one option. The best one, is the one that best fits the woofer option and is the best $$$ for wattage value. They will all drive the MX650 speaker just fine.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:26 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 22 VLX
I have a JL 700/5 amp for sale. I think it would be a good start. That would boost the power to your 6.5's(75/speaker) and give you a channel for a sub. The easiest most economical option is an IB(no box needed) sub. The 700/5 is roughly 180 for a sub which will power a 8"-10" IB sub with no problem.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:00 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLA View Post
Most any 5 chnl amp is going to allow you to run your full range speakers on the 4 chnls and then drive the woofer in a dedicated sub-woofer 5th chnl. Wired properly, you can power an infinite number of speaker per chnl, in theory, but the wattage would eventually be divided to a point where theres no power to drive the speaker.

Most 6 chnls amps can run full range speakers on 4 of the chnls, like the 5 chnls, but also run full range speakers or the right woofer on the remaining 2 chnls.

With 2-3 pair of in-boats and a woofer, a 5 or 6 chnl from any of those brands listed above, would be a viable option. You would wire each in-boat to its own chnls, then the woofer would either be wired to the remaing 5th sub chnl on a 5 chnl or bridged across chnls 5/6 of a 6 chnl. They are an all in one option. The best one, is the one that best fits the woofer option and is the best $$$ for wattage value. They will all drive the MX650 speaker just fine.
thanks for all the info as it will be used when it comes to install.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:01 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lees23 View Post
I have a JL 700/5 amp for sale. I think it would be a good start. That would boost the power to your 6.5's(75/speaker) and give you a channel for a sub. The easiest most economical option is an IB(no box needed) sub. The 700/5 is roughly 180 for a sub which will power a 8"-10" IB sub with no problem.
pm sent

Tags
amplifier, audio, jlaudio, prostar, subwoofer