Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > MasterCraft In Your Area

Old 08-08-2018, 06:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X30
Mechanic around Charlotte, NC area

Iím looking for a trusted inboard mechanic around the Charlotte area. Having problems with my 02 X30s LTR 330 not having full power or throttling up. Engine ran fine until the serp belt got thrown off from locked up tension pulley. No indication of overheating at the time but drove it about 10 minutes until I knew what was happening. Engine has given me all kinds of problems since. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
Here's my $.02 Diego at PowerBoat Service in Raleigh NC kept our 88 Prostar in perfect running order while it was in the hands of the original owner. It may be too far for you, but its an option.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
10 minutes with no water cooling? What was the max temp on the gauge? hard to not think it would have pinned by then. If it did, it sounds like a head gasket at minimum.. Hope it's not and I'm wrong.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 PM
TT Newbie

Gauge never changed to anything concerning. But can only trust a boat gauge so much...it isles fine and sounds ok until you throttle it and it misfires and never seems to have full power. Raliegh isn’t too far if that’s my options. I’m going to do some more digging and see what I can figure out. Seems to maybe be a fuel issue but I don’t know full symptoms of head gasket either...
Old 08-08-2018, 11:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar 200VRS
Doctor Jís Marine in Huntersville is my go-to! Fair and reasonable! Very highly recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2018, 07:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
Have you checked the oil to see if it looks like chocolate milk? That's one indication of head gasket, but doesn't put you in the clear if oil looks good.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2018, 08:01 AM
TT Newbie

Oil is fine. No obvious leaks in engines bay either
Old 08-09-2018, 08:21 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredcharles83 View Post
Iím looking for a trusted inboard mechanic around the Charlotte area. Having problems with my 02 X30s LTR 330 not having full power or throttling up. Engine ran fine until the serp belt got thrown off from locked up tension pulley. No indication of overheating at the time but drove it about 10 minutes until I knew what was happening. Engine has given me all kinds of problems since. Thanks in advance.
Do compression, vacuum and cylinder leakdown tests and inspect the mufflers- if the mufflers were blasted by hot exhaust gases for too long, they're probably melted and restricting the flow. Your exhaust hoses, flanges and flappers are probably toast, too.

Pull the spark plugs and turn the engine manually, by putting a wrench on the bolt holding the crank pulley- if it feels like it's hard to turn, you may have damaged bearings.

You changed the oil before running it after the overheat, right? Overheated oil isn't a good lubricant.

What RPM range while it ran without cooling? At low to moderate speeds, it may not have experienced major damage since it wouldn't be completely empty, but it's not good for it. GM did a lot of destructive testing of engines and I have heard that the Cavalier went around 200 miles without any oil, a Corvette ZR-1 was run (by my friend) without coolant and was told to drive it 'till it drops- it never did, but on disassembly, they found that all of the gaskets were cooked.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:29 AM
TT Newbie

I’ll check all these things when I’m back at boat. I ran no more than 2000 rpm back to dock after belt came off. I’ve had problems with the gauges in past and have inherently learned to ignore to warning light as it randomly comes on when gauges appear to be fine...thanks for all the replies. Hope to get back out in a few days to run some tests.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 X30 6.0L
I recommend taking it to Southtown Watersports. Their service team has always taken great care of my boats (704) 837-0950