Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 07 X2, again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx1 View Post
My buddy decided to do the same thing (build most of his own home and have a GC oversee the project for permitting/licensing/finance purposes).

He and his very capable father in law ordered the lumber for framing the foundation. Framed the foundation then ordered the concrete trucks to show up on Saturday. In the meantime, he ordered the rest of the framing lumber. Concrete trucks show up and pour the slab. A few days later the framing lumber shows up and they dump it at the job site. Bulding inspector shows up and his slab is a few inches into a servitude. Job site is shut down for 2 months waiting for waivers from the city so he could move forward.

That was the FIRST thing that happened. Add all the other stuff up (including the cost of several marriage counseling sessions) and he finally admitted that it was the biggest mistake he ever made.

I am all for doing stuff yourself but........
I don't mean to sound like a dumba$$, but what exactly is a 'servitude'? do you mean the slab was encroaching into the county required building setbacks?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Was 2007 X1 - now looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
I don't mean to sound like a dumba$$, but what exactly is a 'servitude'? do you mean the slab was encroaching into the county required building setbacks?
I may have not used the term properly. I use the term to mean easement/right-of-way/servitude.

In his specific case, it was too close to the sidewalk.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:18 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobx1 View Post
I may have not used the term properly. I use the term to mean easement/right-of-way/servitude.

In his specific case, it was too close to the sidewalk.
that means he put his slab into the setbacks and had to apply to the county for a variance. This happens all the time. I am on the county variance board for my county. been doing it for 8 years now. Some people believe that they can get away with anything. Oh its my land, I'll build where I want to then have to come before us begging for a variance so they can get proper title insurance. I've had builders do the same thing, KNOWING damn well that they were in the wrong.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
[/color]

trust me, THAT will happen!
Another thing to do is, contract the GC to do nothing BUT pull permits, Frame, and foundation work. I'm sure he'll be glad to give you a price on that. That also keeps his warranty issues to a minimum.
You may find one to do that, but he is still somewhat liable for everything because the permits are pulled under his license, and so will still need to oversee each aspect.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:04 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73blue View Post
You may find one to do that, but he is still somewhat liable for everything because the permits are pulled under his license, and so will still need to oversee each aspect.
Yes, you are 100% right about that!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Here is what I would like to do:
1) I can have the foundation dug for the cost of an operator.
2) I have a plumber that I would like to have do all of that work and simply pay him cash.
3) All concrete work will be done for materials cost only.
4) All flooring (tile, carpet and wood) I will do.
5) All painting/staining, including trim, I will do.
6) Putting on door handles installing faucets and toilets, I will do.
7) All site clean-up, I will do.
8) All final grading, I will do.

I have spent a long time building-up the "Favor Bank" with this date in mind and I do have reliable people in place to carry out the work in a timely fashion.

So, given those parameters, and knowing that my timeline is to be in by Thanksgiving, do you think a GC would go along with it?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 PM
MC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
2) I have a plumber that I would like to have do all of that work and simply pay him cash.

I have spent a long time building-up the "Favor Bank" with this date in mind and I do have reliable people in place to carry out the work in a timely fashion.

So, given those parameters, and knowing that my timeline is to be in by Thanksgiving, do you think a GC would go along with it?
IF you want to do ALL those things on this house, you MUST be retired, or either have a buttload of vacation built up!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
I agree with SkiDog, that is a tight schedule for you to be doing that much of the work.

On Edit: I plan on building our lake house. I will probably do everything except HVAC. But, I won't have to be in a hurry as I will have a place to stay on the next lot over. I literally PLAN for this build to take years and not months..........I built my current house that we've been in for 19 years, but my schedule had much more free time back then.

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S

Last edited by 76S&S; 02-20-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post

Well jk, since you obviously wont be needing your 40th this summer, I'll gladly take it off your hands this summer.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:06 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209
Did the exact thing you're thinking of doing 4 years ago.............here's the thread http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=15696 Not on here much so I'll PM you my number if you want to talk