Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2015, 05:10 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 X-15 SS with MCX
Who's tried hydrofoiling?

I can water ski and wakeboard, but haven't tried the sky ski or air chair. Is it worth the $$ to get one?
Old 05-24-2015, 09:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '07 X2
People that foil generally are addicted and will swear there is no reason to ride anything else again.

The entry level ski you can get is usually $800-$1000 used. This ski will serve beginners well for a year or two depending on progression.

Stay away from original air chair skis, the $800 used model I started with was a sky ski so-pro. The components are upgrade able along the way. Bought my first 6 years ago and just sold the board and balance of components I had upgraded along the way this spring. They retain value too!

Head to foilforum.com for lots of information on foiling.
Attached Images

Old 05-24-2015, 09:08 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
tons of fun ... make for some spectacular wipeouts too

buddy had one so we get it out couple times a year
Old 05-24-2015, 09:21 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
I feel like I'm a descent slalom skier. My PB is [email protected] off
I can barefoot forward only no backwards. Love toumble turns and 1 footers
I can wake to wake jump on wakeboards wakeboarding is boring to me
I can surf. Surfing is super boring.

SkySki was the hardest by far to learn. It took me a week of trying, not riding, but trying every day to just ride the ski. About a week into it, I was riding around 15 mph and feeling somewhat stable. I get about 1 month of ride time and start trying inverts. About 1 more week of trying, I landed a wake roll, air roll, and gainer. Those are the 3 inverts that I can do.

I learned on a SkySki proSS. Much slower and forgiving than what I'm on now. Sky Skis are not cheap. I suggest trying one out before buying one. They will kick your azz. I've had 5 costochondral separations from under rotating and crashing on my chest. I broke my left orbital when my face slammed into my knee in a crash.

Currently I ride a SkySki deck, SkySki shock tower (much easier on back), air chair G-38 billet 38" t-bar signed by Geno, max air front wing, launch rear wing, cinch wrap foot stays and belt. I've pieced this ski together and it would retail over $5,000. It's super fast, launches hard, and is much more aggressive than a proSS.

Taymc197 and I ride together. He has a SkySki LE deck, SkySki soft tail tower, Next Foils 2 piece t-bar, n2orbit wings, cinch foot stays and belt.

Both skis ride hot. Once you start understanding the ride and how to ride, you will tune in a ski to your needs. This is harder to do with the proSS as there are not that many options.

Taylor also has a proSS factory non molested setup that his fiancÚ is learning on. We ride with another guy who has 2-3 skis as well. All together we prolly have access to 6-7 skis. They all ride different.

My suggestion is to buy a used craigslist SkySki not air chair but SkySki proSS. Once you learn to ride it, you will be addicted. Then the accessories start being added lol. A proSS is a LOT slower of a ski. It is by far a lot more forgiving than a custom ski. Learn to ride it. Learn to get upside down and land. I got hurt on my new ski not on a ProSS. The proSS was fun and you can do a lot of inverts etc on it. I just was riding with more experienced guys on hot skis getting 15-20' of air, I had to have that after riding their skis. So I went big and got a nicer ski. Nicer ski put me up about 15' and my single gainer turned into a 1 7/8 gainer. Stuck the tip and smoked myself.

Don't let fear scare you away. I've never seen anyone get hurt just riding it around. If you adventure into getting upside down, then it's not about if you will get banged up, it's when.

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-24-2015, 09:48 AM
MC Maniac

This is on a proSS

I love course slalom skiing. Started sky skiing. I now SkySki more than I chase buoys. Once you start riding you won't wanna ride anything else.

Don't be fooled by skiing while sitting down. Ride it and the next day everything is sore. It's not the fat lazy kids easy chair as it appears. My buddy who is very good is a large man though. He can land 9 different inverts. No way in he|| could he run around the block. This being said, you don't need to be in great shape to ride either.

Quote:
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-24-2015, 01:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
WARNING - It is very addicting and can get expensive!

Having said that, go try it!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyskiguy View Post
WARNING - It is very addicting and can get expensive!

Having said that, go try it!
Every water sport is expensive and addicting if you ask me. Going by what kyle has said, I'm staying away from an air chair/sky ski. I also slalom and barefoot which is much more exciting than the slower activities. So I'm gonna stay away from this expense. Well.... That is until I try it
Old 05-24-2015, 01:56 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
It's hard, expensive and you sit down. I've done it a few times and can jump like 6 inches off the water. Try it on someone else's first

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 05-24-2015, 02:30 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco_06 View Post
Every water sport is expensive and addicting if you ask me. Going by what kyle has said, I'm staying away from an air chair/sky ski. I also slalom and barefoot which is much more exciting than the slower activities. So I'm gonna stay away from this expense. Well.... That is until I try it
Paco, sounds like you're an adrenaline junkie like myself. Once you get upside down its the same rush as going fast. You will want it more and more like a drug. Then you start upgrading your factory proSS. You get a new belt and foot stays from cinch. Then a new comfortable tower. Then you spend $1,500-2,000 on a longer t-bar to get higher but that requires $700 in wings as well. So you start horse trading and justifying purchases from foil forum. Then you don't like it and do side trades until you get what you like. You will be $5,000 into a ski 3 years from your first ride. You will spend all winter searching for the deal of the century and get it. Ride for a while and add something else. It's a never ending addiction.

SkySki= heroin on the water.

Either never try it or try it and be hooked for life.

Seriously it's the most fun activity I do now. So take warning

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-24-2015, 02:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Seriously
Tell me about your 39 off. Speed, course, times, and lower level consistency. You are a Men I, correct? Just curious. That is a serious line length to be sporting for a PB.