Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2015, 10:29 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Paco, sounds like you're an adrenaline junkie like myself. Once you get upside down its the same rush as going fast. You will want it more and more like a drug. Then you start upgrading your factory proSS. You get a new belt and foot stays from cinch. Then a new comfortable tower. Then you spend $1,500-2,000 on a longer t-bar to get higher but that requires $700 in wings as well. So you start horse trading and justifying purchases from foil forum. Then you don't like it and do side trades until you get what you like. You will be $5,000 into a ski 3 years from your first ride. You will spend all winter searching for the deal of the century and get it. Ride for a while and add something else. It's a never ending addiction.

SkySki= heroin on the water.

Either never try it or try it and be hooked for life.

Seriously it's the most fun activity I do now. So take warning
Yes, very much an adrenaline junkie!thankfully last time I was hurt was in the third grade jumping out of playground swings... Lol. I looked into an air chair a year or two ago but didn't find anything. I seriously need a driver before I get into too much more activities...... For now, the occasional get together with course buddies will do.... I'm gonna get the course whipped before any more money is spent
Old 05-25-2015, 10:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 X-star 5.7L LTR, 2000 Prostar 190 5.7L LTR, both dark green
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkslc View Post
Speed would be between 15 - 27 mph depending on ability. My wife and daughter like to cruise at 18, my son likes about 20 and I'm currently enjoying 25.

Surface conditions do matter. It is easier in calm water, but still can be done in chop. There's nothing better than smoothly flying above the chop.
Haha, yep. We usually hydrofoil behind our friend's 1990 Prostar 190, and the people in the boat tend to get beat up while the person on the chair is just smoothly going through.

When first learning, we sometimes drop the speed as low as 12-14 mph. It all depends on rider ability and comfort.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
I had a chance to get a damaged SS for pennies. I'm an adrenaline junky and let my fear of getting dinged up make my decision to pass on it. Now I'm rethinking and will look for one and make sure medical is up to date. See ya in the emergency room!!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:41 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X14
The kitesurfing world has been embracing foiling for a few years now and in the last 2 people have taken it to the next level and gone bonkers. Kiters stand up on a foil either with strap bindings or strapless. Riders are now actually getting inverted on a foil while being pulled by a kite. The higher number of riders is also crushing the prices and what used to cost $2500 last year is now $1500 this year. They are also making the boards modular so if one piece gets trashed you just order another. Lastly there is a new design for the foil that is much, much safer. This is it here:

Old 05-25-2015, 01:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkslc View Post
Yes, he learned on mine. I will attach a photo of a thing I made him that I call a sky ski booster. Basically what it did was moved his feet further back and up. This created a more natural sitting position because of his height. He stopped using the "booster" last summer. You can see in the previous picture his legs are more stretched out than is ideal, but I didn't want to lug 2 ski skis around.

I'm currently riding a SkySki Matrix c3 board, Skyski Evo bones tower, Malibu Mark bindings, next foils 7000 series t-bar with Skyski Apex front wing and Fling rear. So far this is my favorite set up.
I love this picture.

Ok so the U shape slides into your foot stays and brings the footing closer to your sons preferred or natural stance sbd higher 2-3", I get all of that, but what is the flat lanyard with the clips on it. Obviously it holds your booster in place, but what are you attaching it to?

If you went all the way around the board, wouldn't water catch on it and be awkward. I love your invention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 05-25-2015, 01:42 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
I had a chance to get a damaged SS for pennies. I'm an adrenaline junky and let my fear of getting dinged up make my decision to pass on it. Now I'm rethinking and will look for one and make sure medical is up to date. See ya in the emergency room!!
Shoot me a PM if you'd like to try it here in SLC. It's not nearly as dangerous as you might think - in fact I think it is safer than most watersports. Being strapped in at multiple points makes it inherently safe. Going out with someone who knows how to teach will save you a lot of time and frustration. And if I can't get out with you I know several others who'd be happy to go.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT20
"Ok so the U shape slides into your foot stays and brings the footing closer to your sons preferred or natural stance sbd higher 2-3", I get all of that, but what is the flat lanyard with the clips on it. Obviously it holds your booster in place, but what are you attaching it to?

If you went all the way around the board, wouldn't water catch on it and be awkward. I love your invention.
"

I'll try to find some better pictures of it installed. You have to have malibu mark bindings http://www.wsoutdoors.com/malibu-mark/ . The "points" of the U shape slide into the bindings and the clips on the side hold the footstool in the bindings. the larger strap goes back around the tower and around. So you got straps holding it from going forward and straps holding it from going backwards.

"It's not nearly as dangerous as you might think - in fact I think it is safer than most watersports."

I agree with Skyskiguy that Skyskiing is much safer than say wakeboarding. I have had some terrible crashes on the skyski and I would take them any day over catching a heel side wakeboard edge.

Skyskiguy, I'm in Sandy, we should go sometime.
Attached Images

Last edited by djkslc; 05-25-2015 at 08:15 PM.