Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 01-23-2018, 11:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Sounds complicated and like a mouse trap to me...

I'd take a pump (or a siphon made for this...Amazon) and pump out the fuel or even remove the fuel cell and empty it. Put in a few gallons of fresh fuel with a quart of isopropyl alcohol (to mix with any moisture in the carb) and run the engine. Carb should clean up on its own. Clean fuel cell, clean fuel, clean carb (as far as fuel is concerned).

Never heard of polishing a fuel cell in the context you have mentioned.

I have indeed (recently) had an aluminum fuel cell cleaned internally (maybe polished????) with a chemical soak/flush. Local radiator shop did it for me for $75.

Your fuel cell should be some sort of polyurethane / plastic and I could not imagine polishing the inside of that type of fuel cell. Maybe I have lived a sheltered life.

While you're there put in a new fuel level sending unit.

New fuel lines never hurt if those are OEM.

Water may or may not be leaking by the fuel filler cap but from what you describe that is a lot of leaking, however one never knows. The only other source I can think of is back flow of water (in some unlikely manner) through the vent opening/hose.

Clean it up, re-work your setup for storage and see what happens.

You can do all of this yourself for under $30 (for a pump) and a $2.00 bottle of drug-store rubbing alcohol. That little amount will not harm the gaskets or seals in the carb. Your labor charge is free....

$0.02

all gas unless otherwise noted has alcohol in it... no need to add any extra.. the opposite is true get gas that is pure with no alcohol in it...

You don't say how much is in the tank, but if you have 1-2 gallons, there is the possibility where you got gas one time that station provided you with a bonus of expensive water.

It not likely you would get that quantity in the tank through a leaky gas cap... doesn't make sense... it would have to be a big gap.. even if the canvas leaked...maybe you left the cap off? is it possible your boat got enough water in it to breach a hose coupler?

the separator did it's job... clean it/change it put in new filters drain the gas/water in it.. then put in fresh gas only about 5 gal get that run through it see if you are still picking up water if not good to go if so then do it again if you get water again something is amiss... if not then you are good... but MCOD can be strong and you want to take out that tank and shine it up inside and out
Old 02-23-2018, 05:22 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Late reply but usually what fuel polishing is what most do here without calling it that. It is simply pumping the fouled fuel through a filter /water separator (or multiple) until all (or most) of the debris and water is removed.
Larger cruisers and sailboats often have fuel polishers installed as diesel grows algae in the fuel once water gets introduced and it usually comes from the fuel vent by way of condensation. Humid air enters the vent and night time cooling leads to condensation that goes to the bottom of the tank. These are usually set up on timers to cycle the fuel regularly as they sit at the dock and recirculate the fuel through multiple filters then back in the tank.

I had to have 100 gallons of diesel polished after I was topping of the freshwater tank for a weekend cruise and heard my then two year old comment on the "pretty rainbow" on the water aft of the fuel vent .
Fuel guy brought a large portable fuel can set up on a dolly with three water separators and filters attached to the pump. Removed the fuel level sensor and put the intake hose in there and the output in the fuel filler. Four hours later and clean fuel. Still had to empty the onboard separator more often than usual but that is not uncommon during summer on the coast.

I believe some use additives to clean the tank as the fuel is recirculated but I doubt it gets the internals cleaned as well as taking to a shop and having it cleaned.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:02 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2008 X2, MCX
For a second there I thought polishing your fuel tank is whole new level of MCOCD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
what? you don't polish the inside when you polish the outside??? -1 MCOCD point for you...