Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 06-17-2018, 08:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '87 PS 190
Oh Boy!?! '87 PS190 Refurb

Oh Boy!?! What have I done now?? Sooooo, I bought this boat... My 12 year old son and I have been skiing for a few years, always behind someone else's boat or for a show ski team. Well, he has progressed to the point that he just needs more water time than we can scrounge from other people, soooo....I bought this boat. LOL. I'm pretty sure in my neck of the woods that this is the equivalent of saying, "Hey y'all, watch this"! Who knows how this is gonna end up!? Anyway, it's an '87 PS190 with the powerslot option. Overall it was in pretty good shape when I bought it, or so I thought, so I took a chance on it. I have extensive experience in the automotive world, so I figured that a boat couldn't be too hard, right? It had apparently sat on a lift on a private lake for all of it's life, but had sat for the last few years without being run. There was water trapped in the bilge at some point and it caused some pretty severe corrosion issues to the exterior of everything aft of the engine oil pan. I bought her from an auction, so I don't know any of it's history and I'm going on the assumption that everything is broken. So far, as I take it apart, everything that has not been broken has been a nice little surprise! I just figured it was better to think the worst and be pleased when it's not than to think it worked and be bummed when it doesn't.
Sooo...about the boat. So far, all I've done is disassemble it and I rebuilt the trans. I think the easiest way to start is to list the good things I know and then list the bad things I know, so here goes...
Good:
Engine turns free.
The trans is rebuilt.
The interior is in really nice shape.
All the original equipment is there, except the driver's seat has been replaced.

Not so good:
Fuel system, at least the carb.
All hoses
All ducts
Heavy, heavy oxidation on the hull
Steering cable is shot
Did not have a trailer, so I had to find a temporary one.
Electrical and gauges are untested.

Things I've done so far:
Rebuilt the trans.
Blasted and painted all the parts and brackets from the engine back.
Purchased new Pertronix marine distributor.
New Atco Marine starter.
New impeller.
New raw water hoses.
Cleaned fuel tank (that was NASTY)
Replaced the ring gear on the flywheel.
New rear main seal on the engine.

I will try to post pictures of things as I do them. I'm more of a worker than a photographer. Any help, questions, suggestions, or commiseration is appreciated! I've already learned so much from this forum that it's unbelievable. You guys are awesome!
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2018, 08:34 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Best luck.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 06-17-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
Awesome find I hope! Since that's not a MasterCraft trailer, or doesn't appear to be, you may want to check the location of your axles to get the appropriate tongue weight. The angle makes it hard to judge in the pic.
Boat looks surprisingly good!
Old 06-17-2018, 09:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
Great find! Sounds like you're plenty mechanically inclined for this boat and going above and beyond to make it right!

Have you found another trailer yet? Or will you also have it on a lift? That poor little Jon boat trailer doesn't look like it's up for the job. Lol.

Good news is one you get this boat right, you won't have any troubles. They are very simple compared to the newer ones. I purposely bought a 1993 205 for this reason(last year of the carb). It'll likely be the newest boat I'll ever own.

Look into this carb if you buy new. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Fuel-...-/201364035514
It's about a hundred bucks less than holley and from everything I've read, performs just as well if not better, and personally I think looks better!

Post up any questions you have, plenty of folks here to help you out!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2018, 09:12 AM
TT Regular

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. When I picked the boat up, I transferred it to newer, more correct inboard type trailer. I still need to make some adjustments to it to get the boat to sit right on it, but it's waaaaay better than the jon boat trailer it was on.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
Congrats! this will be a great boat for you. Yes, You're going to have to do some work to get it sorted out. Get it mechanically sound, then you can use it at the lake and begin to formulate how to get the interior redone. Be patient. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
Oxidation doesn't look too bad in the pics. having the slot is a nice option. hopefully the engine runs with just a carb and some peripherals . anyway. hopefully you got it cheap at the auction and that gives you some space to spend up to the value and not too much higher. good luck with the boat. its the same color as my 88.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:38 PM
TT Regular

Oh boy! Lot's of crazy life things have happened since my last post and I've been trying to work on the boat in the spare moments I can manage. It's kind of like my therapy, I guess. My mom passed away very suddenly a few weeks ago, my ski club split up and the Southern Region Ski tournament was last weekend. Needless to say, my boat repair time is much needed.
I was finally able to find the pictures of my transmission. I don't have many pictures of the rebuild, but it went pretty smooth. Don't know if it works yet, though.Name:  image4.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2286.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  113.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2285.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  133.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2287.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  123.3 KB

Name:  rebuilt trans.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  153.8 KB
I also replaced the ring gear on the flywheel and the rear seal on the motor. I sent the carb off to thatsmrmastercraft for a rebuild and pulled the fuel tank out to clean 31 years of gunk out of it. Doesn't sound like much, but it's been a lot of work. Did I mention that it hasn't stopped raining here for weeks? Most everything has gone pretty smooth, with the exception of the fuel pick up hose. I can't get that [email protected][email protected]&# out for all the trying in the world! Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Name:  ring.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  150.2 KB Name:  fuel tank.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  155.3 KB [ATTACH]177702[/ATTACHName:  pickup tube 1.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  136.1 KB
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2018, 02:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 MasterCraft Prostar 197 & 1989 190
Wow. All of that looks like I came off one of my tractors. (except the first image, not sure what to say that looks like)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1986 Prostar 190
On my tank that bulk head fitting for the fuel puck up dissolved and fell apart into nothing when I removed mine.. was a huge pain in the ***