Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-24-2018, 03:56 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
1991 Prostar 190 Restoration

Long time lurker and first time poster here. I've used this forum extensively as I refurbed my 1996 MB over the past 5 years and appreciate the content that the forum members contribute to this site. I recently acquired a 1991 Prostar 190 and have a few questions as I contemplate a refurb. Here's the "as is" pic.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...1&d=1527187669

Questions as follows:

1. Is this color Cayman Blue?

2. I think the gelcoat will come back nicely. That said, I do have a gash in the blue gelcoat where the starboard rear "prostar 190" sticker will go. Will reproduction stickers provide complete non-transparent coverage or are they clear where there is no logo allowing the gelcoat underneath to show through?

3. I have a spot in the white gelcoat approximately 4 inches in diameter where the prior owner hit a dock. You can see the grey patch in the photo on the rear of the boat near the gunwale. The patch doesn't match the original gelcoat. How do I cover this? New white gelcoat (i.e. spectrum color) or some type of paint?

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2018, 11:52 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 Prostar 190
Diamond in the rough.

Did it come with an engine cover?
Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 X15 MCX
Will you be removing the tower? Just my opinion, but I think the Prostars look better without a tower.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:05 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1991 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Yes - all parts are there including engine cover. I'll leave the tower on as I've got kids. I do agree that the prostar looks better without it.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Hi 8Hunters, I would say welcome to TT but I am a long time lurker & new to the forum as well. I saw your Prostar on Craigslist and thought it looked like a good project, what with 400 hours on the engine, etc. I myself bought a fixer-upper last fall & finally got it finished a couple weeks ago. It can be a lotta work & fun, but the most fun is when you are nearing the end and starting to see the fruits of your labor.

I think you have a really nice "starting point". I do agree with DougP about towers on Prostars, but this is just a matter of preference. Have fun!
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2018, 12:19 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
rico
is that a reverse gel? or has that been painted? could you post some more pictures? interior too.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:34 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Hi Jay, Yes indeed it is reverse gel. I picked it up last fall from a guy that was getting a divorce and needed to get rid of it as part of a settlement. The boat was sitting outside obviously (covered) for he said 3 years. It was in pretty rough shape, although not near as bad as some of the projects in here. I did a lot of work on it over the winter. I wish I would have documented it with pictures, but like an idiot, I did not. It was originally purchased in 89 at a Seattle boat show. So I am thinking it may be a one off. Not sure about that, but I haven't seen one with a dash like this one.

Anyway, I plan to take it to the lake next Wednesday to wring the thing out. At that time I will start a "new to me" thread, include some pics and history for those whom might be interested in here.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 Barefoot 200
Nice

Very nice textiles in the interior.