Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 x2 salt series 350 indmar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post
Hey Guys,
i got a 2006 X2 and its my first Model with hydraulic Steering.

Is it normal, that steering with one Hand is that hard? The Wheel of my Prostar with cable steering can be tourned with one Finger, but the X2 needs almost both hands...
My x2 steering is as light as a feather turning with one finger is easy. Was wondering how much movement is in your rudder side to side as mine seems to move about 10 mm and I'm not sure if this is what's causing my steering problems.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2
You got 10mm Movement in your Rudder if you push it by hand from left to right or back/forward??

Seems a lot to much.. i think ive got 3-4mm.

You may have to change the Rudderbox if the Movement is so much..

I hope to have understood correctly
Old 01-16-2018, 01:57 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2009 x2 salt series 350 indmar
Quote:
You got 10mm Movement in your Rudder if you push it by hand from left to right or back/forward??

Seems a lot to much.. i think ive got 3-4mm.

You may have to change the Rudderbox if the Movement is so much..

I hope to have understood correctly
Sorry mate may not have explained well. It's not side to side movement it's turning the rudder side to side as if it was steering. This is when I have 10 mm of movement before anything inside moves. Was wondering if yours is same.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Ahh okay, thanks for the explaining. My english is not the best yet

I think this movement seems to be okay, mine is almost the same.

Wish you a good Season!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Quote:
You are right, the reservoir fill ist next to the steering Wheel unter a black Cap.
Now i remember, that i had a green spot on my socks last year while driving.
Maybe the fill hose is leaking.

I will try to fix it and refill the system, ordered new Fluid a few month ago...

This is the reservoir cap, right?
Correct, though I cannot tell you how the cap is mounted, whether threaded or a pop off?

Given you might take wrenching advice from some guy on the internet who has not done this and is just guessing, you might want to put a towel around the reservoir cap prior to removal and have plenty of extra steering fluid.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
Correct, though I cannot tell you how the cap is mounted, whether threaded or a pop off?

Given you might take wrenching advice from some guy on the internet who has not done this and is just guessing, you might want to put a towel around the reservoir cap prior to removal and have plenty of extra steering fluid.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

My lid is screwed I believe, but we will know exactly when im done with it.

I'll tell you what the problem was when (if) I found it
Old 01-17-2018, 04:46 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 07 X2, again!
The cap is a screw on. If I'm not mistaken, it really takes two people to correct this issue. It has to be done from both ends of the line. Where's JimN when you need him?
Old 01-27-2018, 03:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
I have not had any issues with mine yet. However I'd start with checking the fluid level and adding any if it's low as well. Then try and figure out where it's leaking from if that fixes it.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, '05 X10 (sold) & '11 X25
So I bought a salt water series X25 last year sight unseen for my kids to use initially on the other side of the country for one summer. Upon delivery, my son noted that the steering was pretty stiff. I told him it would feel different from the cable steering on our older boats. The MC dealer we bought the boat from assured us it was all normal. I finally got to drive the boat myself last summer and could not believe how stiff it was - two hands to do everything. I complained but again, was told by the dealer that their techs had checked it out prior to delivery.

I started researching the topic and watched several videos of people purging their hydraulic systems of air bubbles. A local boat mechanic did his best to lube up everything and it made steering while underway a one handed affair but around the dock or down skier, two hands to do anything. During his troubleshooting, he discovered that the spindle that the steering wheel attaches to was slightly bent and no amount of bleeding was going to fix that. It looked like someone had pulled very hard on the steering wheel, probably to steady themselves in rough water.

Fast forward to a month ago and I had the Arizona MasterCraft dealer replace the entire helm as well as a hydraulic pump back by the rudder. The result was a silky smooth, one finger around the dock experience. I shot a video to send back to the original dealer to show them how clueless they were.

Hope this helps in some way.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for your answers and experience with the hydraulic Steering.

Last Weekend, i took a mate to the Boat to fix the Sterring issue.

We ordered two bottles Seastar steering fluig and bleed the complete system two times.

It was not easy and took about 3 hours, one person was laying in the locker and the other was filling the helm reservoir/pulling the Steeringwheel. But the result was worth, steering with one hand is no problem now.

More than 1/2 liter of fluid was needed and we found two bad connections.