Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 MasterCraft ProStar 190, 350 TBI, 1:1
Seeking recommendations for specific gelcoat problem areas

I think I know how to handle oxidation and very minor scratches on my boat, but there are four small areas that are more severe than the rest of the problems with my gelcoat that I'm unsure about. I'm seeking input from folks with experience dealing with stuff like this on how to approach these four areas. The maximum depth for each was measured with a digital caliper. To the extent a problem area is porous, the bluntness of my caliper may result in understating maximum depth of the problem area somewhat. This 1994 is Oyster with a Dark Teal major stripe and Hot Pink and gray minor stripes. If additional information would help, please let me know. Thanks for any help.

No. 1 - Located on side of boat above Mastercraft decal
Maximum depth = 23 mils (about 90 percent is 10-15 mils)

Name:  No. 1 - Located on side of boat above Mastercraft decal.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  98.6 KB

No. 2 - Located on bow above rub rail
Maximum depth = 5 mils

Name:  No. 2 - Located on bow above rub rail.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  30.3 KB

No. 3 - Located above rear vent
Maximum height = 25 mils

Name:  No. 3 - Located above rear vent.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  62.7 KB

No. 4 - Located below waterline
Maximum depth = 61 mils

Name:  No. 4 - Located below waterline.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  40.7 KB

Last edited by lake weir skier; 03-03-2014 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-03-2014, 04:45 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
You can try spectrum colors and do the work yourself - perfect matching will be impossible due to age of boat. http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Index.aspx?key=cat

Most of that can be fixed DIY IMO - unless you want it as close to perfect. It should at least be covered - many good videos on Youtube on this kind of repair.

You can even get gel coat tint to play with color matching.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
I have matched faded gel-coat in the past with this method. Put several pieces of masking tape on the side of the boat you are going to repair. Mix samples and put it on the masking tape until you get a good match.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 X15 350 MCX
#1) 23 mils is pretty deep. I had to flake off some gelcoat around an area on my keel that was loose due to the PO. The piece that I flaked off was 35 mils at its thickest point, 25 mils at its thinnest. If you sand enough to clean up the scratches, I think that you will probably eat through the gelcoat. Most likely will need to grind it out and apply gelcoat.

#2) The scratches in the blue part should sand right out. That one place in the white looks deep. May have to grind out that one.

#3) That looks like a little blister area. I would say that you will need to stick a small blade in that crack and see if any surrounding area flakes off.

#4) It doesn't look like those holes got into the fiberglass, so that is good. You may have to add a little fairing putty to smooth out the bottom of the holes, before applying gelcoat.

Check out this website. http://boatworkstoday.com/ This guy really goes through the process step by step and actually tells you the names of the materials that you need.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
You can try spectrum colors and do the work yourself - perfect matching will be impossible due to age of boat. http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Index.aspx?key=cat

Most of that can be fixed DIY IMO - unless you want it as close to perfect. It should at least be covered - many good videos on Youtube on this kind of repair.

You can even get gel coat tint to play with color matching.
Iíd like to give it a try myself. I read about Spectrum Color on the forum and contacted them a few weeks ago. The issue with my 1994 Dark Teal is itís a non-stock color for them. Their minimum size is a gallon. Thatís a heckuva lot of gelcoat for a total surface area less than the palm of my hand. For Oyster, which is also not a stocking item, their minimum is a quart. They donít offer a patch kit in either. They tell me the shelf life is too short and the demand too low. Pretty pricey even on iboats for such a small amount of work and, as you suggest, you would still need to correct if for aging if you wanted a really good match.

You imply they will require addition of material -- gelcoat. That was my thought as a newbie, but I wanted to see if anyone disagreed. I could live with a bright white non-match with the off-white Oyster on No. 4 since itís two very small chips and well below the waterline.
I also posted because Iím not sure what No. 3 is. Looks like it could be a buildup of gelcoat or some sort of blister, possibly containing a void. Not sure. Maybe someone can tell from looking at it or tell me how to determine what it is.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
I have matched faded gel-coat in the past with this method. Put several pieces of masking tape on the side of the boat you are going to repair. Mix samples and put it on the masking tape until you get a good match.
How did you know what to mix to get to your target? I've been wondering if anyone on here has a tinting recipe for the Dark Teal on the 1994-1995 boats. Oyster too.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk View Post
#1) 23 mils is pretty deep. I had to flake off some gelcoat around an area on my keel that was loose due to the PO. The piece that I flaked off was 35 mils at its thickest point, 25 mils at its thinnest. If you sand enough to clean up the scratches, I think that you will probably eat through the gelcoat. Most likely will need to grind it out and apply gelcoat.

#2) The scratches in the blue part should sand right out. That one place in the white looks deep. May have to grind out that one.

#3) That looks like a little blister area. I would say that you will need to stick a small blade in that crack and see if any surrounding area flakes off.

#4) It doesn't look like those holes got into the fiberglass, so that is good. You may have to add a little fairing putty to smooth out the bottom of the holes, before applying gelcoat.

Check out this website. http://boatworkstoday.com/ This guy really goes through the process step by step and actually tells you the names of the materials that you need.
Thanks for the comments and the link. I've started reviewing the informational videos on that website.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 AM
maryyy

he maximum depth for each was measured with a digital caliper. To the extent a problem area is porous, the bluntness of my caliper may result in understating maximum depth of the problem area somewhat. This 1994 is Oyster with a Dark Teal major stripe and Hot Pink and gray minor stripes

esky rc helicopters
Old 03-06-2014, 09:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1981 mastercraft S & S 351W PowerSlot
I started with a gel close to the finished product. If I can remember Blue pigment was cool and red pigment was warm, Experiment is key. That is why you put the masking tape on the hull. Make notes when you mix. It takes a little time to get it right. But once you get it, you can do it pretty quick.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:50 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
I fixed some areas worse than those chips under my 94 PS 205 that was the same Oyster color. I just mixed and matched some gelcoat with a color match patch kit. Like mentioned above, it does take a little time to get it right. Make sure you match to the gelcoat after it has been sanded around the area to be repaired. The scratches all look like they can be sanded out to me, otherwise you will have to dremel out the scratch then match the gel in that area.