Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2018, 02:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Help purchasing a boat out of state

I'm looking at purchasing a used boat from Oklahoma (I live in Northern CA). The seller and I have agreed on price and I'm just waiting on the results of the inspection and lake test. If all is well, I'll be moving forward so I'm now looking for advice on the best way to make the deal so both the seller and myself feel safe. The seller is a private party. I will be using a shipper to tow the boat from Oklahoma to me in California without me being able to see the boat before I receive it.

The seller has been great so far, but I just want to make sure I'm smart about this. I obviously want to make sure the sale goes through smoothly (for both of us) and the boat I receive shows up in the same condition as that boat was when I had it inspected

I wouldn't be opposed to paying a reasonable fee for a 3rd party to handle this sale if that's the best way to go. If you would recommend this, how would I find someone in Oklahoma (Oklahoma City) area that could handle this for us?

How many of you have purchased a boat from a private seller out of state without being able to be there for the transaction?

What would be the best way to send payment and make sure I receive the title?

Thanks all!!!
Old 11-18-2018, 02:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Flights are cheap, I’d never buy a used bot site unseen

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 11-18-2018, 03:07 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
Thanks MC25! I hear ya! I looked at flights, but couldn't make it work with my schedule for at least a few weeks. The person doing the inspection comes highly recommended and the seller has been very accommodating. I'd go by what the inspector says regarding condition even if I was able to be there as I don't know what I'd be looking for as much as someone with his experience.

As long as we complete the transaction the right way (for both me and the seller), I'm good with buying out of state. (I've purchased cars before out of state, but they were from dealers).

So what would you guys suggest as the best way to complete the transaction? Maybe the person doing the inspection could be involved as the 3rd party to accept the payment and hold the title until payment clears?

How would you guys do it?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
If it was a hair closer to Dallas, I’d go look at it. You could always look at an escrow service.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 11-18-2018, 03:17 PM

Boat: XT22
I've bought used boats sight unseen, but from a dealer, and there were no issues. I've sold 2 boats recently to out-of-staters, and each time they came to see the boat. One came in, looked, and gave me a check and took it home. (friend of a TT member) The other flew in, looked at the boat, then we arranged payment and shipping. (TT member KRW1225) I wouldn't buy a boat from a private seller sight-unseen. You've got to be able to schedule a flight to at least look at it, not necessarily take care of the entire transaction.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X-Star
Honestly, if it was a newer boat, I was very familiar with the model, I knew I wanted it, and it was a killer deal, I would not have an issue buying it sight unseen. Granted, I would try hard to go see it in person, but if I just couldn't make it happen, I wouldn't let that ruin a good deal.

If you know you want that model of boat - the only reason to go check it out is to make sure that exact one you are looking at is in good shape. In that case, a good inspector is probably going to do a better job than 99% of people who try to do it themselves.

I would have suggested to maybe try and go through the local dealer. They could do the inspection, take care of the transaction, arrange shipping, etc. They would take their cut, but it would be worth it. Even though you got the inspection, maybe this is still a viable option?

The other thing is to just use your bank... buying sight unseen is not all that different from any other transaction in which a boat is being financed. Your not physically present to take the boat when the loan is funded....so your bank makes the seller sign paperwork (purchase agreement, letter of intent, etc.) to make sure that when he gets paid he will send the title over. Last time I sold a boat private party, this is what happened. He was only 30 minutes away, but he didn't come for about a week after he paid me...so what is the difference if you are 1,000 miles away?
Old 11-18-2018, 06:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 195
I bought a boat from a guy in Oklahoma sight unseen last year. I would never do it again unless someone from this forum checked it out for me. I think the seller was a boat flipper but sure didn't let on to it.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:18 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
I don't know what boat you are looking at but you have a mc dealer in okc called davids sports. there is also a really good Malibu dealer in Edmond who is familiar with indoor called Wilson Watersports, if I were closer I would be happy to look at it for you.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2008, PS 197, LY6
Send a message via AIM to Covi Send a message via Skype™ to Covi
This, and my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakejimmyjon View Post
I bought a boat from a guy in Oklahoma sight unseen last year. I would never do it again unless someone from this forum checked it out for me. I think the seller was a boat flipper but sure didn't let on to it.