Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-03-2015, 09:20 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Scott, are you getting yours done at the shop in Sylvan? I'll be very interested to see how it turns out. My quote of $6200 for Gen2 is out of the question.
Levi, I'm getting Wayne to assist us with the install. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30, MCX 350 w/ GoSurfAssist
Just an update for you guys from my second weekend and 5th outing with Go Surf Assist..... it is still amazing and working like a champ. The push coming off this wake is phenomenal and the wake is easily a foot taller than any wake I've been able to make before. It makes surfing a lot more fun as you aren't having to work hard to stay in pocket and the pocket is huge.

I have a few observations to share with you guys from my early experience with the system:

1) Water depth is much more critical than it was previously. I suppose it is because we are displacing much more water than before. You really notice it when you go over a shallow spot and I have found that now we need 15 feet depth minimum where I could previously get by with 10 feet (and sometimes 8). This is not a knock on the system - just a simple fact if life - if you want to push more water you will need more water.

The downside for me is it makes surfing my cove a challenge - but we are adapting and finding deeper water. Who knows - maybe a few of my neighbors will stop hating me?

2) Turns are different. Previously for regular side you only could turn to the left (or the wake would go away) and the wake was taller and stronger in the turn. Neither of these is true any more. Turning to the left, the wake is the same at best and seems to even lose a little push coming out of the turn. Turning to the right (surfing regular side) was a surprise for me. I was hanging on to the rope as we had a right turn coming up and the wake was actually stronger than when turning to the left. I don't know how to explain it but these are my initial observations after quite a few runs.

Anyway this weekend was a great time. Mark Werbenec from Lakewakes liked the goofy wake so much he came back out to test a new Hybrid (Surf / Skim) board he is building out. It was too small for me to ride but another buddy of mine rode it and said it was the best board he's ever ridden by far. Here is a video of Mark almost nailing a 720.on it - https://youtu.be/Bei_D9jSzkU

My 10 year old daughter is regularly finding the slack in the rope now and surfed quite a bit. This is the only video I got of her - https://youtu.be/ymApSx0j9OA

And I had probably the most fun just surfing ever. I literally used to spend all my energy keeping up with the boat. Now I'm ready to learn some tricks - https://youtu.be/OTyg_8uuuWc - in this clip I am recovering from about 20' back and the last time I let the curl get into my shin too much before dropping my knee (that curl is massive and packs a punch).

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the product and the service is great too - Ryan even called me tonight to see how the weekend went. 5 Stars!
Old 05-04-2015, 08:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
15' yikes. That would leave me out. We find it hard to get 10' depth for any distance. Glad to hear the install is working for you though.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:45 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Supra Sunsport
what is the mounting hardware like for the tabs? i'm assuming bolts that mount through the hull with threaded nuts on the inside of the boat? from the pics they almost look like rivets because they're small. the reason i ask is because with my older direct-drive, using a threaded nut on the inside would require pulling the gas tank and a lot of extra work.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
15' yikes. That would leave me out. We find it hard to get 10' depth for any distance. Glad to hear the install is working for you though.
I got the same issue turner. When the lake level gets low average is just about 10 ft with pockets of 8.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:16 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
Wake Faller that is a great looking wave. Glad to see others enjoying the benefits of surf systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakerider16 View Post
I got the same issue turner. When the lake level gets low average is just about 10 ft with pockets of 8.

This is pretty standard these days. With GEN2 I notice that the I need to be atleast in 12ft to get the best wave possible. Below that the wave is still good just not as tall. We have a run for about a mile on our river that is 20-25 feet and we stay there for the most part cause the wave is ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-04-2015, 10:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks Dave! It has made a real difference for me so far.

You're absolutely right. The wave does not go away in 10- ft - you just don't get all the incremental benefit. The first pics / vids I posted were all taken in my cove which ranges between 8 and 15 feet. I didn't notice the wave decreasing in the shallower water at first but now that we are all used to the much larger wake we notice - it is apparent.

I believe this will be the case with any surf system - to make a bigger wake you have to move more water.

Like Dave said, 12' would likely suffice but I now look for 15'.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtryon View Post
what is the mounting hardware like for the tabs? i'm assuming bolts that mount through the hull with threaded nuts on the inside of the boat? from the pics they almost look like rivets because they're small. the reason i ask is because with my older direct-drive, using a threaded nut on the inside would require pulling the gas tank and a lot of extra work.
The mounting hardware is #12 Stainless Screws - I think there are 8-10 per tab.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:54 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake Faller View Post
The mounting hardware is #12 Stainless Screws - I think there are 8-10 per tab.
There aren't any nuts to install.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2015 X20 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
10' will leave Wake Surfing out for just about ANYONE.

That is not a Device related Depth...that is a Surfing related Depth. 15' is really a starting point.
20' Is ideal

Do you have access to deeper Water?

2015 X20 SS GEN2 6.0
2016 G21 Coastal
2014 X46 GEN2 7.4
2014 X30 GEN2 5.7
2006 VRS200 SS 5.7
2013 X30 GEN2 6.2
2013 Yamaha 242LS