Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 03-26-2018, 08:31 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, XStar, 2004, 8.1L
depth finder problems

The depth finder on my 04 x-star is very sporadic and usually doses not work. I checked the transducer and it was no longer attached to the bottom so i re-epoxied it to the hull but did not seem to help as it did not change. Wondering if i try to shave all the old epoxy off and re-epoxy or try a new transducer/depth sounder. Wondering where others have the transducer mounted and how? currently it is mounted on a flat spot right in front of the drive shaft but seems pretty close. I see that the Fararia uses antifreeze in a mounting ring, would this be a better option?
Old 03-26-2018, 10:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I have the same issue with mine. I haven't been able to find a problem- transducer still firmly affixed to the hull, no apparent issues with connections. It's just glitchy.
My solution, many here won't like, was to buy a fish finder, use a suction cup to mount the transducer, then have the head unit on the dash. Not ideal, but I like that it's a chartplotter. Having the US lake charts means I have an idea of what coves we can explore, and it sure helps on those night runs through the canyon back to our camp site. Plus, having water temp is nice.

I think I might explore a permanent mount for the transducer this summer.

G
Old 04-30-2018, 10:40 PM
TT Regular

Where do others have the depth finder mounted on their x-star? Is there an easy way to get the old epoxy off of the transducer?
Old 05-27-2018, 02:37 PM
TT Regular

what do you guys suggest for a thru-hull transducer and depth finder? thinking I need to replace mine.

Thanks