Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 05-10-2018, 09:43 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 190 prostat
1992 Prostar 190. Finally a MC owner.

So let me start by saying a lot of hard work, dedication and gods grace let me end up with this boat. To many it may look like a beat up old MC but all I see is potential. This boat will be a slow project.

First things first, itís more than likely going to get a fresh long block. The previous owner didnít winterize the engine and it popped a few freeze plugs. Not to mention the compression numbers arenít exactly ďin specĒ

Plan is to get the boat running well and clean it up a little so I can use it.

This winter I plan on various upgrades including potentially re spraying the boat with current Mc gel colors and if budget allows new cool feel interior.

As I just picked up the boat tonight, is there anything particular to this boat that I need to look out for?

I will post some pictures and any advice greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 05-10-2018, 09:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Flush the transmission a couple of times, cheap and easy to do. Do some polishing and buffing before you consider a re-gel. I'm betting the trailer brakes are toast, replace them with disks, at the very least replace the wheel bearings. An electronic ignition is nice to have. Get rid of the Holley 4010, replace it with a Holley 4160, call Mr Mastercraft. New pads for the trailer guides are cheap on E-Bay. If you replace the trailer lights get LED's.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:24 AM
MC Addict

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Congrats ... i would not respray the gel coat ... you can easily polish it out and make it look brand new ... search for a thread on oxidation removal ... follow it ... i did it step by step on yay '93

I also replace my interior and went with modern vinyl and a new look ... i love it

Huge congrats .... welcome to the MC club
Old 05-11-2018, 07:27 AM
MC Addict

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Here is the thread

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...dation+removal
Old 05-11-2018, 09:00 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1992 190 prostat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RLAKE View Post
Congrats ... i would not respray the gel coat ... you can easily polish it out and make it look brand new ... search for a thread on oxidation removal ... follow it ... i did it step by step on yay '93

I also replace my interior and went with modern vinyl and a new look ... i love it

Huge congrats .... welcome to the MC club
Thanks for the advice. I was planning on doing a full wet sand and polish on the boat after I get it running just for this season. It will turn into a resto project. Only reason I want to re gel is for a color change.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 X5
Congrats on the new purchase. I would try using a compound and rotary buffer before you get to wet sanding. I purchased the variety pack from Chemical Brothers and used with a DeWalt rotary and it worked amazing. Many also use wool pads. Also, change the impeller or at least ensure that it is in excellent condition.