Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2016, 10:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1982 stars and stripes
1982 stars & stripes

just bought this boat, dont know anything about it,,im going to redo interior but it has no back seat is that because is a compition ski boat at one time>
they said it was 1982...what size motor is in this boat how can i tell?
what is the brass looking round thing with radiator cap on top of motor? is that where i put anitfreeze? thanks for any help...
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2016, 10:37 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Nice looking boat, will be beautiful once you get it all redone. To answer your questions, yes, the brass thing is the coolant reservoir. You have closed loop cooling on your engine- the black tube under the exhaust riser is the heat exchanger.
The engine is a 351 Ford block.
Enjoy the project!
Greg
Old 02-26-2016, 10:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Welcome to Team talk and congrats on buying a great boat. Don't see a lot of closed cooling systems in the Stars & Stripes boats.

The rear seat was an option that a lot of people chose not to add on. They take a lot of abuse from people stepping on them. There are a number of threads here about building a rear seat.

Interesting that the ski mirror was moved from the original center location to the outside. There always seems to be someone sitting in front of the mirror no matter what you do. I finally bought a clamp on mirror for above the windshield.

There is a lot of knowledge here about the early boats. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Posting lots of pictures is a bonus.

Thought you would be interested in seeing the 1982 order sheet.
Attached Images

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 02-27-2016, 07:16 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Nice looking boat, will be beautiful once you get it all redone. To answer your questions, yes, the brass thing is the coolant reservoir. You have closed loop cooling on your engine- the black tube under the exhaust riser is the heat exchanger.
The engine is a 351 Ford block.
Enjoy the project!
Greg
thank you very much, am i correct on some call it the 351 windzor or cleavland? how can i tell what one i have?
Old 02-27-2016, 07:19 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Welcome to Team talk and congrats on buying a great boat. Don't see a lot of closed cooling systems in the Stars & Stripes boats.

The rear seat was an option that a lot of people chose not to add on. They take a lot of abuse from people stepping on them. There are a number of threads here about building a rear seat.

Interesting that the ski mirror was moved from the original center location to the outside. There always seems to be someone sitting in front of the mirror no matter what you do. I finally bought a clamp on mirror for above the windshield.

There is a lot of knowledge here about the early boats. Don't hesitate to ask any questions. Posting lots of pictures is a bonus.

Thought you would be interested in seeing the 1982 order sheet.
very interesting order sheet, that is just what i was looking for, thank you....
Old 02-27-2016, 11:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassmanbearcat View Post
thank you very much, am i correct on some call it the 351 windzor or cleavland? how can i tell what one i have?
351 Windsor

For the differences between Windsor and Cleveland look here:

http://www.mustangengines.com/351c%20Differences.htm

Have fun with the restore. Keep posting pics.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V. 1982 S&S Powerslot (sold).
I'll break the news to you.
My first Mastercraft was an '82 Stars & Stripes that was built in late '81. It is a great little project boat that will keep you busy and doesn't require a huge investment to maintain. It is like an old tractor in that there is no electronic gadgetry to keep you scratching your head and searching for reasons it won't run. If it has gas, air, spark, and compression - it will run. No power steering, no cruise control, etc. Mechanical parts are available and affordable. And it a great performing boat. Mine was the fastest boat on our lake out of the hole, no one beat me in a drag race.
Now the bad news... You already see that you have a wood deck. You also have wood stringers and transom plate. Wood rots. Especially after 34 years in wet environments. Be sure you have a solid base before you go spending a lot of time and effort on other things. There are threads here on complete stringer replacements. It can be done by someone who is willing to get into it an invests in doing it right.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 mastercraft 351
The original mirror is on the underside of the wooden glove box, Definatly an 82. My first one was also an 82.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:08 PM
TT Newbie

some more questions about my boat

the water that comes over the from of boat goes thru that vent thing and has 2 round plastic circles things on the under side. the previous owner had, 2, 3inch dryer vent hoses hooked to them,,.well they are no good...what do you guys use for this? the dryer vent hoses?

what does closed loop water system mean someone posted i have?

how many quarts of oil does it take to fill it up?

what kind of gear oil do you use on the back of engine that turns the propeller? and is there a drain plug to drain the old oil out of this or i got to siphone it out? i looked didnt think i seen one..but could have missed it...all anwers is greatly appriciated...

what is best spark plug to use?

what is power slot take off? and how do i know if i have it?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
I use RV sewer drain hose instead of dryer vent hose. Its much more sturdy, inexpensive, and available at Walmart.

The close loop cooling means that lake (or ocean water) never enters the engine, but there is a heat exchanger between the coolant in the block and raw lake water. You have to use antifreeze solution for the block. If you never intend to take the boat into salt water I would recommend removing the close loop plumbing; much simpler and you don't need all that extra "stuff".

My 351 takes just over 4 quarts. Rotella 15w/40 is a popular brand, available for $13/gallon at most places. Walmart also sells OEM Motorcraft filters (FL1A) for about $4.

The transmission uses Dexron III transmission fluid, you'll need a couple of quarts. You'll need to pump the old fluid out; there is no drain plug.

One way to tell if you have a Powerslot is to check the prop, the diameter and pitch should be stamped on the prop hub. The OEM prop for a standard 1:1 transmission should be a 13x13. A Powerslot would be more like 14x18.