Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2018, 01:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1993 prostar 205 previous 85 S&S
I literally ran for years without them too. This is what I just mentioned. Every time you back out in the water you're taking a chance. Only takes one time to ruin your day which is what happened to me. Y'all do what you want to, for me, they'll always be on my boat because water can and absolutely will come back through the risers into the combustion chambers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
I literally ran for YEARS, maybe even a decade, without them.... never a problem. Their main function IMO would be to stop a siphoning if an exhaust hose developed a leak and the boat was always in the water. With the height of the engine relative to the water line and the angle of the exhaust manifolds it would be highly unlikely to get water In. As for getting water into the block while loading .. not a chance The flaps don't seal. If one was at speed and did an abrupt slow down I can see maybe water entering to the muffler but as I said I ran for a very long time mainly in the course with stops at each end usually with never an issue
Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2018, 02:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
They probably wouldn't do all that much against a siphon but possibly.

The only time I've been sitting around our boat and said to myself - man those flappers are doing something was when we were at a sandbar a few years back, gals were sitting up in the boat listening to tunes, including two lounging on the bow, the guys were in the water drinking beers and hanging out and the bow was way down, swim platform up out of the water from the weight forwards in the boat and a couple of big boats went by tossing wakes that just exploded right on the stern of the boat. I'm fairly confident that if the mufflers were full of water leaned forwards like that those wakes would have gone up to the engine. I'd bet if you own an open bow boat this could be a real issue when you dropped a skier if you had people up front with out the flappers as well.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 197 2003
respectfully I can't see how backing into the water could ever get to the riser there is at least a 1 foot rise from the pipe to the riser. . Just floating allows water in as the flaps are not even close to sealed. I'm not saying they shouldn't be replaced only that any risk is negligible IMO. BTW I've been in a Mastercraft for nearly 40 years.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Do people leave the flaps on when they install FAE?
Old 06-05-2018, 03:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
I don't think that'd be possible. The FAE attaches where the flaps would be.
2017 B1G Champions
Old 06-05-2018, 04:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2015 X23 w/ 6.2
Not to challenge everyone out here, but our X23 right from the factory does not have rubber flaps. There is a metal area in the center of the exhaust, but there is also an area all the way around the outer edge of the exhaust that is never covered.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Mastercraft X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsone79 View Post
My FAE came with flappers
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2018, 08:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190
If someone ran an engine with vegetable oil instead of engine oil without problems, would you do it?

Because someone can or has doesn’t mean you should.

Probability or insurance..... $30 for flaps or $1500 for rebuilding engine after water enters....
Old 06-08-2018, 08:53 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommurtha View Post
respectfully I can't see how backing into the water could ever get to the riser there is at least a 1 foot rise from the pipe to the riser. . Just floating allows water in as the flaps are not even close to sealed. I'm not saying they shouldn't be replaced only that any risk is negligible IMO. BTW I've been in a Mastercraft for nearly 40 years.
If the boat isn't running and a wave comes toward the boat, the flappers stop the water from being forced in. Also, a ski boat sits low in the water, so the difference between the water level and the riser is small- water doesn't have much problem getting into the exhaust system and if a wave comes from behind when the engine is off, the pressure can easily cause water to go farther since the water has already found its own level. I have seen engines that needed to be replaced because someone did a flat spin, too.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
I ran for a very long time mainly in the course with stops at each end usually with never an issue
Yep. You can also argue that "I've not worn seatbelt for years, never had a problem".

The point is, when you need them, you REALLY need them.