Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2018, 07:21 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Stern Drive Ski Sanger...?

Anyone here ever ski behind a stern drive Ski Sanger? It looks like the outboard Barefoot hull with a 350 mercruiser Magnum and a stern drive unit. There is an '89 in my area that might make an interesting resto project. I presume the boat has wood stringers? A different animal, but a cool looking boat for sure.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 Ski Nautique 2001
In the same era Malibu made stern drives too. Good looking boats with a long closed bow that reminded me of the v-drive and jet boats of that era, but with the signature color schemes of my first Malibu Skier. I would think the Ski-Pro boats popular with the barefooters would be your best comparison in performance.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190 - LT1
I had one. It was my first boat. You're talking about the TX model. It's not the barefoot hull. It's the same hull as Sanger's inboard. Mine was an 87 with the OMC Cobra engine.

I actually really loved that boat. It was the most solidly built boat I've ever had. You can't believe how thick that gelcoat was. It didn't even rattle in the roughest water. It rode beautifully. Great seat layout, clever platform design. The wake was ok. It was AWSA tourney approved. We ran it through the slalom course a lot. At the time I was skiing 36 at 15 and 22 off. When I bought my 94 Prostar the wake was a world of difference, but the Sanger was a fantastic all around boat.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2018, 10:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
I would think the Ski-Pro boats popular with the barefooters would be your best comparison in performance.
I have a 1991 Ski-Pro 21 footer to go along with my MC. It's a great boat: versatile, roomy, quiet, fast. However, it is NOT a good slalom tug, the wakes are too hard and sharp. Back in the day Waterski Magazine rated it as a good "training" slalom boat.

I've skied behind a friend's Sanger outboard; very nice.

I realize that comparing an I/O and an outboard is apples and oranges, but my gut feeling is that the Sanger I/O is a better ski boat than the Ski-Pro.

But, there's that potential wood stringer problem.

Last edited by Miss Rita; 06-07-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1985 Ski Nautique 2001
If you take the label off of that Sanger and put it side by side with a Malibu stern drive of that same era you cold not tell them apart, from the color pattern to interior colors etc.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Prostar 190
Thanks for the responses. It is such a cool old boat. I went to look at the Sanger this afternoon and as much as I wanted it as a project, I think it was too far gone for me. The floor was being held together by the carpet. Pressure treated reinforcement under that. No way that is original. Bad repairs scare me. I can't imagine the stringers are solid with those clues. I missed an opportunity to pick up a very original Outboard Barefoot Sanger last year. I suppose I'm trying to turn a sow's ear into a unicorn. Thanks again for the background and the photos.