Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Tahoe Autoride

I have a 2002 Tahoe with 110k miles. It has the OEM Autoride self-leveling suspension that hasn't worked for a couple of years.

I've heard rumors that it's pricey to repair, anyone have a rough idea?

I haven't missed the self-leveling part, and am inclined to simply replace the OEM system with aftermarket shocks. I know this is similar to " Who makes the best oil?" threads, but are there recommendations as to what brand/model of shock to use?

TIA!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
I've gone to Bilstein 5100's on my 3/4 ton Yukon XL. I also have autoride but mine is electric. I believe yours is an air pump system. I was able to dissable it with some resistors...otherwise, I'd get an error message displayed in my dash, which would be annoying to me. Hopefully there is a way to bypass your system too without error messages. Just a different system on my truck. Same era though, 2004.

1994 205, LT1
Old 05-31-2018, 09:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
There was another thread that discussed this. I think I remember reading that aftermarket replacement is actually pretty cheap and very DIY. It was within the past few months... Good luck
Old 05-31-2018, 09:48 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2003 PS197, MCX, Powerslot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
I have a 2002 Tahoe with 110k miles. It has the OEM Autoride self-leveling suspension that hasn't worked for a couple of years.

I haven't missed the self-leveling part, and am inclined to simply replace the OEM system with aftermarket shocks. I know this is similar to " Who makes the best oil?" threads, but are there recommendations as to what brand/model of shock to use?

TIA!
I have a 2000 Suburban which has that on it. I replaced the shocks a number of years ago (8 years?) because the bladders were leaking and I replaced the pump at the same time. Two years ago I replaced the pump again because it failed. Shocks are still good. I probably had $800 in it the first time with the shocks and $300 in just the pump this last time. It isn't that hard to do and it is nice when it works.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Rather than use an air shock system, which is what auto ride actually is, I would recommend using a Firestone or air ride technologies air bag leveling kit. They also have automatic systems if that is something you need. Way better materials and much more robust than an air shock system from the late 60s.

I have given CP some mild hazing in regards to replacing components on the autolevel system on his suburban.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-45 6.0L LY6
Thumbs up

Quote:

TIA!
The answers you seek are at the link below! It was for a 2007 but the systems are very similar if not identical from what I understand.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...57#post1406757
Old 06-01-2018, 09:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:

TIA!
I went with the Rancho 9000xl adjustable.. they are awesome...
Old 06-01-2018, 03:32 PM
MC Devotee

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be considering my options. I'm pretty sure that I won't go back to a self-leveling suspension.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: None
I also have a 2002 Tahoe that came with Autoride. Once the compressor gave up I replaced the rear springs with a set of Bilstein springs (p/n 199021) as well as Bilstein shocks front and rear. If I remember correctly I had to pull a fuse in the under hood fuse box for the autoride system but overall it was very straightforward.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:06 PM
MC Devotee

I have installed conventional shocks, have disabled the Autoride system. Now there is a message to “Service Ride Control”.

Does any one the correct fuse to pull to turn it off? The owners manual is very vague.

TIA

Last edited by Miss Rita; 06-16-2018 at 01:29 PM.