Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 10:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
BTW...my waves are similar to these. Like yours, my goofy wave isnt nearly as nice as the port side and thats really what Im working on. Great pix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
X30 Gen 2 with 1100 sacs and two crew aboard. Goofy is as stellar as regular.

Regular with full crew including three big doods.

We don’t need no stinking Nauticurl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-15-2017, 12:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
^DHP, that starboard wave is with 2-person/325 lb crew, the port wave is with 10-person/1800+ lb crew with (2) 250 lb gorillas sitting in the port side aft corner. A boat full of crew and our 1100 lb bags makes surfing a contact sport, in fact in this scenario the mellow setting is best as steep creates a vertical wall of water.

IME, the Gen2 gives you plenty of delayed convergence or shapes the wave to the surf side (which is what the suck gates mimic), but it is sufficient ballast that provides push, wave height & depth, and curl. Get the bigger bags for your 30 and forget about the Nauticurl.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:49 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
The other advantage of Gen 2 is that you can switch port to starboard effortlessly, even in the middle of a ride. With Nauticurl (or any other suckgate/fakegate) you have to stop, remove the device, and switch sides . . . and hope it stays on!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
^DHP, that starboard wave is with 2-person/325 lb crew, the port wave is with 10-person/1800+ lb crew with (2) 250 lb gorillas sitting in the port side aft corner. A boat full of crew and our 1100 lb bags makes surfing a contact sport, in fact in this scenario the mellow setting is best as steep creates a vertical wall of water.

IME, the Gen2 gives you plenty of delayed convergence or shapes the wave to the surf side (which is what the suck gates mimic), but it is sufficient ballast that provides push, wave height & depth, and curl. Get the bigger bags for your 30 and forget about the Nauticurl.
The real issue is getting the steep/curl far enough back that Im not always on top of the boat - usually that mean more center plate/more ballast, and its a delicate balance. As I mentioned earlier, it wasnt as much an issue on a slower board, but once I got on a faster board I was finding myself needing the boat faster - and probably better skills too! - and thats when I started wanting the bigger wave farther back. Will the Nauticurl solve this...who knows, but just curious if it had been tried.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Black'nGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHPRO View Post
The real issue is getting the steep/curl far enough back that Im not always on top of the boat - usually that mean more center plate/more ballast, and its a delicate balance. As I mentioned earlier, it wasnt as much an issue on a slower board, but once I got on a faster board I was finding myself needing the boat faster - and probably better skills too! - and thats when I started wanting the bigger wave farther back. Will the Nauticurl solve this...who knows, but just curious if it had been tried.

Larger wave = more weight/ballast, further back = weight shifted to bow and speed increase of the boat. Nauticurl will only help clean up the face/lip of your wave.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Boatless and afraid
Buy it, try it, see if you like it. It's one of the better made surf gates and small enough to work on almost all hull shapes and sizes.

There is plenty of market for these second hand to get your money back or keep it as a backup in case you have GenII issues. Spare prop is a necessity, why not a spare surf system?
Old 11-15-2017, 03:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2014 X25 6.0L, Gen 2
I had substantially better success with my wave using the MD device and only centerplate on my Gen2 X25. Just sayin. I bought the device to try it because it had free returns. I did not return the item.

Now that I'm getting an X23 I better not need it again.

I will say that it worked best on port, not goofy.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Black'nGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 'n Green View Post
I see the OP has an X30 and you have a Prostar 205. I have an XT 21. Are you saying these settings will work on the newer XT and X series boats with Gen 2? Any tweak of the ballast, or just fill it up? How many people in the boat? Always looking to dial in the 2017 we picked up mid-year. Will be trying these next season. Thanks.
Appreciate your offer for settings for my XT21. Looking forward to seeing them. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 NXT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Not to offend you, but you’re not setting your boat up correctly. The 22 is a very very good surf boat.
I am all ears.. I have tried multiple ways with the plates, adding weight, etc... the push always was crap without a ton of folks in the boat.

Added a 120 nauticurl.. problem solved.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:26 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
try these settings on the nxt22

https://i.imgur.com/tXY6zAr.png